Minitor Band Change

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Elkland1
New User
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Kenwood, Baofeng,TYT

Minitor Band Change

Post by Elkland1 »

Looking to take some 151-159 minitors (iv and/or v) to the 143-151 range. Will be putting them on 147.000 and possibly 148.1xx area at a later time. Has anyone done this with success and little to no ‘tuning’ needed? Just want to make sure they are able to before committing. Thanks
Karl NVW

Re: Minitor Band Change

Post by Karl NVW »

Unless you are talking about Minitor 5 or 6 you are out of luck. The entire PC board is built for the specific sub-range, so it could easily be deaf as a fencepost if youtry to move them too far. You may also experience 'birdies' or 'self-quieting' frequencies which will degrade audio quality that wasn't all that great fresh out of the factory.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
rainbowpenguin
New User

Post by rainbowpenguin »

I've done exactly this successfully with a couple III and IV pagers. One needed a bit of tuning, there's a pot accessible thru a hole on the vco shield.
W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

Post by W3AXL »

I've done this several times successfully with Min IV's. I can't say if the V would follow a similar process as I haven't had one apart.

Your receive will be attenuated as the antenna is tuned for a very narrow bandwidth and can't be (easily) changed, but the VCO can be tuned to work over a much wider range.

An easy way to align the pager is to program it for the new frequencies (once you've changed the band range - doing that is described on other sites in detail) and feed a signal through a small wire close to the pager. Then adjust the VCO tuning cap on the mainboard until your signal comes in clear. Again, not a very empirical method of aligning the pager but if you're using it on the ham band odds are you're not looking for public-safety grade performance either.

151-159 Minitor IV's will work fine from 144-148. I've got two tuned to local repeaters that broadcast NOAA tones during severe weather.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”