Minitor V Firmware Update

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

lej512

Post by lej512 »

I located the firware update (2.8 I believe) for the Minitor V on the MOL website. I downloaded and installed it but when I choose the HEX file that they gave me, I get an error message that tells me I'm not in "Flash Mode". I can read from and write to the pager fine. I am using Motorola's OEM programming cradle. Is there a different cradle just for that? Knowing Motorola it would not surprise me.
LEJ
Queensbury, NY
Al

Post by Al »

Have you followed the Motorola instructions *exactly*? I.e., including connecting the wallwart PS to the programming cradle as directed. According to M, the same cradle is used for reflashing as is used for programming.
lej512

Post by lej512 »

Yes I did. At first I didn't see what difference it would make plugging in the PS after but when it didn't work, I followed their instructions TO THE LETTER. I can read it, write it but if I try to flash it a window pops up that says "Unable to enter flash mode" or something similar. Appreciate the help...
LEJ
Queensbury, NY
jt118f4

Post by jt118f4 »

Are you sure you are plugging the PS into the cradle (pager holder) and not into the interface?
lej512

Post by lej512 »

Thanks to a good friend at a nearby radio shop we figured out the problem. You have to supply power to BOTH the programming interface AND the programming cradle. Firmware update to version 2.8 didn't solve the falsing problem so I still have a Minitor V paper weight and my old reliable Minitor IV. GO MOTO!!!
LEJ
Queensbury, NY
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Try 3.0, it has a falsing fix...

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

You've gotta power the programming cradle? What, is that for flash operation only? I've never had to power it for programming alone...
lej512

Post by lej512 »

No matter what I did before, all I could get was an "UNABLE TO ENTER FLASH MODE" message. I had the PS that came with the programming interface plugged into the programming interface. Then I set the pager to the program mode and plaved it in the cradle. That is where (according to the vague directions) you plug in the power supply. What I misunderstood was you need the PS from a regular charger to plug into the cradle itself. As soon as I did that, I ran the flash upgrade and it went fine. Power to both the cradle and the interface solved my issue. Is there a version 3 to the firmware? Is it posted on MOL? I'll try anything at this point.
LEJ
Queensbury, NY
The Pager Geek

Post by The Pager Geek »

Yes, 3.0 was released Dec 1st. It's on MOL and their main website also for everyone.

tpg
kdean7

no need for second power supply

Post by kdean7 »

Just to add: I upgraded my firmware using the instructions from MOT using only one power supply which I connected to the cradle. There was no power to the interface and it worked fine.
jt118f4

Minitor V Firmware Upgrade

Post by jt118f4 »

That is correct. You only have to power the cradle for firmware upgrade.
lej512

Minitor V Firmware Upgrade

Post by lej512 »

NEWSFLASH! I upgraded to firware revision 3 and PPS 1.2.2 and my Minitor V falsed less that 20 minutes later. Now I'm getting aggravated with /\/\ !!!
LEJ
Queensbury, NY
The Pager Geek

Post by The Pager Geek »

Send me the archive to your pager.

thepagergeek@aol.com

tpg
HRN

Post by HRN »

I have update the firmware (v3) on several Minitor V pagers and have not noticed any difference. However, I updated the firmware on another pager and reprogrammed it directly after, taking the pager out of programming mode and entering programming mode again befroe reprogramming. I made no changes to the frequencies in the pager, however, I changed the tone sets and turned up the squelch to 5, which I always do when I reprogram the 5, and now the reception on the pager is awful. I know you can't go back to the old firmware, but is there anything I can do to try to get the reception back? I have tried changing the squelch to 1, writing to the pager, turning the pager off and then reprogramming the pager with a higher squelch setting and I am not finding any difference.
aaknitt

Post by aaknitt »

Just as an FYI, plugging in the wall-wart to the programming cradle applies +5VDC to the power pin of the pager. Apparently this is all that is needed to flash firmware. Either the 5 volts tells the pager to allow firmware flashing, or (more likely), the EEPROM actually needs 5 volts (as opposed to the 3V from the batteries) in order to "burn" properly. So if you're interested in building your own programmer, that's how to make it capable of upgrading firmware. More details at http://andyknitt.googlepages.com/minitorprogrammer

Andy
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I spoke to someone to a shop that works near the Motorola plant. They did some field tests with a Motorola product manager. They said that no one else complains about the falsing issue (searching this board indicates that many have the issue).
If you have a falsing issue, maybe give the Motorola product manager a call.
His name is Ron Gemmer at 1 954 723- 8610. (Don't tell him where you got his number, might be a problem for my friend as he works a little close to him)

Let us know what he says.
ffexpCP

Post by ffexpCP »

Mines falsing all the time. It seems to do it the most when I stand in a certain spot in my station. I thought it was getting interference from other close by electronics but then I threw that theory out the window when it alerted in the middle of my backyard.

Will a service shop update firmware under warranty?
What radios do you own?: MT-500 with scan

Post by 123 »

I am trying ot upgrade to version 3.0

I have tryed everything you guys have posted here to try, I still get the following msg "Can NOT Open COM4" (That is the Comport I use)

I am stumped.
Keep the flames to yourself.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Will a service shop update firmware under warranty?
No. Motorola does not provide warranty at the service shop level. You must return to Motorola for warranty service.
Having said that, some shops provide some "warranty" service as a customer service to their customers. Motorola does not cover this is any way and it comes out of the dealer pocket for any work/handling that they do.
radio64

Re: Minitor V Firmware Update

Post by radio64 »

If I may ask, what was corrected with the v3 firmware? Trying to decide if it is worthwile to do the upgrade... Thanks
lej512

Post by lej512 »

Personally I don't think the firmware did anything to address the problem. I will say I have had far less problems since word circulated about the "hidden" menu option in the software that adjusts the squelch level. If I remember right, read the pager, press "s" on the keyboard and you should get a window with a slide bar that allows you to adjust the squelch sensitivity. A band-aid fix but still a fix. I have version 1.4 of the software. Hope this helps.
LEJ
Queensbury, NY
radio64

Post by radio64 »

Oops, maybe I didn't ask the question the way I needed to... I don't have any problem with any of the 5's we have, I was mearly wondering what the firmware upgrade was supposed to do (differently than what we have now) Thanks, Ben
lej512

Post by lej512 »

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I'm not sure what it was supposed to fix. I upgraded in hopes of curing a well documented "falsing" problem.
LEJ
Queensbury, NY
What radios do you own?: MT-500 with scan

Post by 123 »

I have version 2.8 in mine. No falsing & the minitor V works well no problems.
Keep the flames to yourself.
areharrt
New User

Post by areharrt »

lej512 wrote: If I remember right, read the pager, press "s" on the keyboard and you should get a window with a slide bar that allows you to adjust the squelch sensitivity. A band-aid fix but still a fix. I have version 1.4 of the software. Hope this helps.
How does this differ from the squelch adjustment located under the Model Options tab after reading in the cap code?
lej512

Post by lej512 »

I guess I never really looked that closely. The "s" command displays a 3 position sliderth "DEFAULT, LEVEL 1 and LEVEL 2" for options. The squelch slider under "model Optios" gives you 5 choices. I suppose they do the same thing but I don't know that for sure.
LEJ
Queensbury, NY
Lake Effect

Post by Lake Effect »

The "S" option changes the response time to a tone. I did some testing in the shop some time ago and don't remember the exact response times. But, for example, given an 8-second group call, default setting may start alerting after 5 seconds. Setting it to "1" may alert after 6 to 7 seconds. And "2" may only give a very brief beep alert so it takes the full 8 seconds of tone. Similar timing changes happen to the normal 2-tone page. If you are using Plectron timing on your encoder, you can make the Min 5 not respond at all by going to setting "2"

L.E.
ki4ccz

Post by ki4ccz »

What wall wart are you guys using? The wall wart that came with the programmer that I have will not go into the pager cradle. The pins are different sizes.
I tried a wall wart from a regular Minitor V charger and it is the same as the first. Pins are different sizes. The pin on the programmer pager cradle has a slightly larger pin size.

Thanks
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

ki4ccz wrote:What wall wart are you guys using? The wall wart that came with the programmer that I have will not go into the pager cradle. The pins are different sizes.
Try plugging the wall wart into the rib/programming box, and not into the cradle.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Nevermind my last post, I just had a mental moment and forgot that you plug into the cradle for firmware..

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
northstarfire0693
What radios do you own?: MTS 2000, HT 1250, MV

Post by northstarfire0693 »

Is there a new firmware out yet or is it still 3.0 ? I cant find it on big M sight
Al

Post by Al »

3.0 is still the current firmware revision.
northstarfire0693
What radios do you own?: MTS 2000, HT 1250, MV

Post by northstarfire0693 »

Al wrote:3.0 is still the current firmware revision.
where can i get 3.0 ? cant find it on big M at all
Al

Post by Al »

https://businessonline.motorola.com if you have an account.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”