Minitor V

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cfdeng3

Minitor V

Post by cfdeng3 »

Well we are ready to buy some minitors soon. My raduio shop says the Min V's are horrible. He suggest the Nova's...anyone have any feedback?
We use 460.xxx

Thanks for help.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

I'm not familiar wih the Nova's. But everyon I know that is using a MV is happy with it.
cfd230

Post by cfd230 »

can't possibly be any worse than a Minitor IV
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

We have the Noah's Arc of pagers. Pretty much at least two of everything. I have two people using Minitor V's right now and they love them. "Receiving better than the Minitor IV but still NEVER as good as the Minitor II".

I have a USAlert Nova sitting on my desk in front of me. Unless you get them dirt DIRT cheap, I would go along with the Swissphone Quattrino. It is allegedly the number one pager used in Europe. This is the pager that I carry on my belt over the Minitor/Directors, Keynotes,Novas, and Shinwa's. The USAlert is kinda cheesy. The menu setup is very confusing and can be a real PITA. Lets just say that I have had a couple returned to me "accidently" dropped in antifreeze and some mysteriously "lost".

I would totally recommend the Quattrino over the Nova. There are no knobs. Just two switches on each end. Go to http://www.pwservice.com for more info. Note that you cannot program these bad boys - you have to send them back in since they are Crystal controlled! Apparently in Europe there are not that many different freq's used unlike us so they never considered possibly frequent reprogramming into the design. I still like it though. It is about the same size as my Advisor Elite text pager and fits nice on the belt. The clip is also made out of some heavy duty (yet thin) rubbery plastic substance. Takes a ton of abuse.

I spoke with a tech down at Paging & Wireless Service center who works on tons of pagers and he said he has had nothing but good reviews from himself and other techs about the Minitor V. It has a super loud speaker now and a bunch of silly alert tones. Its definately fatter and heavier.

We originally purchased three Minitor V's and for the discounted price we paid I think I'll order a few more. Lets not forget that I still pickup lots of Minitor II's for pennies on the dollar all the time. If you are concerned about durability and signal strength, your dollar would go farther buying capable used Minitor II's and sending them in to get refurbed.

"A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood." -Patton
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

We have the Noah's Arc of pagers. Pretty much at least two of everything. I have two people using Minitor V's right now and they love them. "Receiving better than the Minitor IV but still NEVER as good as the Minitor II".

-everyone I know who uses Min V likes them much more than III/IV.Even some hardcore II afficiandos tried the V and liked it.Downside is "M" issue with V Amp charger and the standard charger "whistling" during first 1/2 of charger time.Being crystal base,I imagine it really helped the Min II reputation it has as being reliable on the receive end of things.

I have a USAlert Nova sitting on my desk in front of me. Unless you get them dirt DIRT cheap, I would go along with the Swissphone Quattrino. It is allegedly the number one pager used in Europe. This is the pager that I carry on my belt over the Minitor/Directors, Keynotes,Novas, and Shinwa's. The USAlert is kinda cheesy. The menu setup is very confusing and can be a real PITA. Lets just say that I have had a couple returned to me "accidently" dropped in antifreeze and some mysteriously "lost".

- a local UHF county uses alot of the USAlert Novas,they get by with them but more and more switching to Min V.The Quattriino I am really interested in.Do they have any warranty repair shops in USA? Where do you send them in to get fixed?

I would totally recommend the Quattrino over the Nova. There are no knobs. Just two switches on each end. Go to http://www.pwservice.com for more info. Note that you cannot program these bad boys - you have to send them back in since they are Crystal controlled! Apparently in Europe there are not that many different freq's used unlike us so they never considered possibly frequent reprogramming into the design. I still like it though. It is about the same size as my Advisor Elite text pager and fits nice on the belt. The clip is also made out of some heavy duty (yet thin) rubbery plastic substance. Takes a ton of abuse.

-now I HAVE to get my hands on if they can take alot of abuse.I will put it through its paces around here.

I spoke with a tech down at Paging & Wireless Service center who works on tons of pagers and he said he has had nothing but good reviews from himself and other techs about the Minitor V. It has a super loud speaker now and a bunch of silly alert tones. Its definately fatter and heavier.

- and the battery status indicator on top sure beats picking up a pager and not knowing the charge left in when going to a call.

We originally purchased three Minitor V's and for the discounted price we paid I think I'll order a few more. Lets not forget that I still pickup lots of Minitor II's for pennies on the dollar all the time. If you are concerned about durability and signal strength, your dollar would go farther buying capable used Minitor II's and sending them in to get refurbed.

- I know a few shops that will refurb IIs but it is getting harder and harder to find housing and doors and knobs for them.It seems crsytals and reeds are more common than shells for the darn things.

I have a box of 70+ VHF 156.500 2 channel NSV Min II with gray housings under my desk.I cannabilize them for some refurbs which we can stretch so far.I also heard Motorola took some 98,000 off the street with a 2005 trade in offer when the V came out.Not sure if its true or not,but they took in a bunch.I think it was for $35 trade in credit on new V purchase.
Wayne
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter

Post by chipjumper »

wkr518 wrote:I also heard Motorola took some 98,000 off the street with a 2005 trade in offer when the V came out.Not sure if its true or not,but they took in a bunch.I think it was for $35 trade in credit on new V purchase.
Wayne
God help us if they destroyed them. Rest in peace pager brothers of the past.

I guess you have to send them to the seller for servicing. PW Service has good customer service and quick response times.

wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

We have had great success with the Minitor V...have sold quite a few of them with no complaints so far. We haven't sold any of the amplified charger bases, so we've thankfully avoided that problem.

Not to take this too far off-topic, but I have 5 or 6 new-in-box Minitor II's with the red case. I'm thinking they're 149.xxx right now. What would they be worth if I were to try & sell?

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Gocart878

Post by Gocart878 »

stay away from the nova, they are nothing but trouble for a person who uses them in the fire service. we have about 55 of them, and i think only about 25 of them are actually still be used. the minitor 4 is a better pager and easier to get repaired when broken. Us alert requires u to send the pager to florida to service, no local repairs. they also dont work well when it comes to cooler damper air quality. the speakers suck, with poor solder joints they break often, and the buttons stick down and are not user repairable. the screens on the front(LCD) often display odd numbers/ incorrect letters, and crack easily if you run into a door jamb. to me, i broke 6 us alerts (not intentionally) with 2 months, i chose to go back to the II, and have not had a problem since.

your choice, but i hope the above helps you to decide what to go with. i would stick with the V, but if you can drop to the II, its worth the cost. find a department with a lot(perhaps EBAY?) and use them for parts. i.e cases, clips, battery doors, etc.

best of luck
michael.
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter

Post by chipjumper »

wavetar wrote:Not to take this too far off-topic, but I have 5 or 6 new-in-box Minitor II's with the red case.
I bought five used Minitor IISV with dual channels for $45.

Shoot me a price and I might bite on it so long that they can be recrystalled to 154.2500. We have had a ton of surrounding depts donate cases of Minitor II charger amps.

OT: Wavetar - I have a motorola universal paging interface that I am having trouble using. Can you test it/send it in for repair?

cfdeng3

Post by cfdeng3 »

Thanks for all the feedback. I am back on the Minitor bandwagon. I currenlty have Minitor II, III, and IV's and luckily have no issues.

Will the new Minitor V's do a wider freq on 2 channel or not because of narrow band.

I am trying to get 460.xxx and 471.xxx. Also I want to get an amplified charger. Are there issues with them?

Thanks again!
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

cfdeng3 wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. I am back on the Minitor bandwagon. I currenlty have Minitor II, III, and IV's and luckily have no issues.

Will the new Minitor V's do a wider freq on 2 channel or not because of narrow band.

I am trying to get 460.xxx and 471.xxx. Also I want to get an amplified charger. Are there issues with them?

Thanks again!
I have not seen a Minitor III-V yet that had 460-471 on one unit.
The Amp chargers are supposedly fixed and approved from Underwriter Labs and being manufactured full steam now.
Wayne
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

Reading right out of the Minitor V price pages, bandsplits in UHF are:

406.0 to 430.8, 450.0 to 493.9975, and 504.0 to 512.8

Looks like the Minitor V is good to go; call your dealer.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”