Different tones in a minitor 4 2ch? How?

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firefighter2000
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 MTS2000 M1225 HT1000

Different tones in a minitor 4 2ch? How?

Post by firefighter2000 »

Im buying a Minitor 4 two channel from a fellow board member. We're not certain how to do the following, or if its possible.

I only need a single frequency which is: 155.355

I'd like the following tones to be on the following positions on the top knob. I'd like to be able to change to a different position depending on which "medic" im working on.

Position A(Medic 1)--553.9---584.8
Position B(Medic 2)--553.9---617.4
Position C(Medic 3)--553.9---651.9
Position D Monitor channel

Is this possible?
Thanks
Craig
Wes

Re: Different tones in a minitor 4 2ch? How?

Post by Wes »

It is not possible to program it the way you have listed.

The tones are not selectable per position.

You could set it up to do 2 different tones, by programming F-1 and F-2 as the same frequency, but with the different tones. You could add the third set of tones to one of these positions, but while in that position, the pager would activate on either set.

My $.02

Wes
Wes Hutchens
911 Telecommunicator/2-Way Sales & Service
firefighter2000

Is there a pager that is capable of doing this? I have a single channel that is set up this way... (only for fire departments). What would I have to do to be able to do this? Get a M5?
Thanks
Craig
Wes

Post by Wes »

The Minitor V will not do 3 different sets in this configuration either. It would be just like the IV. I am not aware of any other pagers on the market that would work like you are needing. Our Shop has demoed the Apollo (Minitor V look-a-like) and the Tribute 911 pagers and they will not do this either. We also sold the SCA Sceptar for a while and they will not do this. Maybe someone else here on the board has some suggestions.

Your other options are to use a portable. For example, the Kenwood TK-2170 is capiable of doing exactly what you are asking for. And is not much bigger than the Minitor V. Several agencies in our area have switched to this as an alternative to pagers. They cost less and are a fully functional 128 channel, 5 watt radio that will do 2-tone encode and decode and a host of other functions. The other good thing is if the volume knob or anything else breaks, you just take it to the local dealer for service instead of shipping it to Mexico and paying a flat rip-off rate to have it fixed.

And before anyone else starts ranting about "Walkie-Talkies are not Pagers or a replacement for them" I already know this. I myself prefer to carry a pager as opposed to a portable all the time, but we have to face the facts that a lot of departments with tight budgets choose to be thrifty and get the most for their money. I cant blame them.

My department gets dispatched by 2 different counties on 2 different VHF frequencies. A couple of years back, County B shut down their old VHF system except for the paging freq and went to 800 MHz Digital. If it hadn't been for that, I would have seriously considered a purchasing portables like the TK-2170 to replace our 40 aging Minitor II's that had been all modified with an aftermarket scan board. We chose to go with the Minitor V's instead because the portable would have been totally useless in the one county other than getting pages.

Ok.....I am down off my soap box, forgive me for ranting in this thread about something else.....

Wes
Wes Hutchens
firefighter13669
New User
What radios do you own?: M1225,F3161,F70,F5061,F33,F50V

Post by firefighter13669 »

About the minitor 5 he must be talking bout selecting the on duty and off duty.you can select what tones you want to go off for on duty and off and which selector postion.I know that I have always programmed 3s 4s 5s for two sets of tones to go off in diffrent postion ex a and d
KC2VHB
Asst17-1

Post by Asst17-1 »

The Swissphone Re629 allows you to have up to 32 different tones in up to 50 profiles, way more than you would need so i believe it will do what you want.
I bought a bunch of these for our department and they really give the M-V a run for the money.....

http://www.swissphone.com/portal/alias_ ... fault.aspx
nmas_emt
New User

Post by nmas_emt »

As a member here was saying you could get the affect that you want but you waould need a 2-channel model.

Pos A - F1 - Medic 1
Pos B - F2 - Medic 2 (on duty)
Pos C - F2 - Medic 3 (Medic 2 tones OFF duty)
you could have Pos D either scan or use the on/off duty function and have all sets alert.

This is the setup that all of our tone pagers use for the ambo service i work for.
firefighter2000

Okay... the pager I have IS indeed a two channel model. Can anyone else verify that this is correct??? I'd REALLY like to have this one set up like this.
Thanks
Craig
Wes

Post by Wes »

nmas_emt wrote:As a member here was saying you could get the affect that you want but you waould need a 2-channel model.

Pos A - F1 - Medic 1
Pos B - F2 - Medic 2 (on duty)
Pos C - F2 - Medic 3 (Medic 2 tones OFF duty)
you could have Pos D either scan or use the on/off duty function and have all sets alert.

This is the setup that all of our tone pagers use for the ambo service i work for.

I believe the above proposed set-up would work, I apoligize for misleading anyone with my previous posts, I had forgot all about the on duty/off duty functions....

Wes
Wes Hutchens
rileym
What radios do you own?: XTS3k's

Post by rileym »

Can anyone refresh my memory,

I'm trying to remember exactly the function of the on/off duty selection in the boxes next to where the tones are entered....

Does on mean that that tone is specified as "on duty"

Or

Does on mean that that tone is enabled for "off duty".

The software is not specific about it, been a while since I loaded up a pager....

Thanks
I flatulate P25.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”