Minitor V Programming

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

northstarfire0693
What radios do you own?: MTS 2000, HT 1250, MV

Minitor V Programming

Post by northstarfire0693 »

I am sure this has been brought up one time or another, I have a stored voice MV and dispatch will drop the signal for a few seconds before going on with the dispatch. What setting do I need to use on the reset function so the SV will record the message...

Thanks...Sorry if this has been up before
northstarfire0693

Re: Minitor V Programming

I have another question, What is silent scan do...??? I can not find any info on it in the book.

What I am trying to do is set up my pager to scan 2 freq ( f1/f2 ) with 2 differnt tone sets I had it set to pri scan and it would act as if in open monitor. Here is my set up..

A Sel call F1
B Mon F1
C Sel call F2
D Pri scan F1

What I would like to do is have D set to scan sel call on F2 and F1 with F1 being priority..

Thanks for the help
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Reset mode should be Revert N, set N = a few seconds longer than dispatch drops the TXer (6 sec?)

Silent Scan allows alerting on two channels - no priority required (the M5 skips traffic on a channel and keeps scanning if no valid tones are found).
northstarfire0693

Ok thanks for the help... I was useing delayed N...Not to sure on how revert n works over the delayed one... Is their a way to have silent scan with pri f1

Thanks again
Wes

Post by Wes »

As it has already been stated, there is no priority function when in silent scan.

Wes
Wes Hutchens
911 Telecommunicator/2-Way Sales & Service
northstarfire0693

Thanks for the help... my first time messing with a SV model.

I picked this pager up for a friend who needed it and now he quits the FD I have the pager for sale....Look in the FS area.
VZGuy
New User
What radios do you own?: PR1500

Post by VZGuy »

tvsjr wrote:Reset mode should be Revert N, set N = a few seconds longer than dispatch drops the TXer (6 sec?)
Im having the same problem as northstar, But I want to confirm.. If I set the pager to n=6, the pager will emit white noise for up to 6 seconds, and then stop recording ? But it the dispatcher starts talking within those 6 seconds, it will record the whole message ? or just 6 seconds of the message ? If the disptacher starts dispatching within the 6 seconds and then unkeys will the message be cut short ? I have the pager set up at Revert and it doesn't record the message only the tones....

Also what does the Dynamic feature do ? I see that I can set the stored voice length in seconds or Dynamic ? Mine is currently set to Dynamic...

Basicaly I want the pager set up to record the page, and stay in the open position. My dispatch is not really on the ball and almost always drops the carrier before telling us the message... Sometimes my pages are long sometimes they are short.. I want record them all.. IS this doable ? With the least amount of white noise as possible....

Thanks for any help you can throw my way...
northstarfire0693

Set your revert N for a longer time 10 sec or so. Mine also gets the white noise for a short time too but it will record the call.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Im having the same problem as northstar, But I want to confirm.. If I set the pager to n=6, the pager will emit white noise for up to 6 seconds, and then stop recording ?
YES
But it the dispatcher starts talking within those 6 seconds, it will record the whole message ?
YES
or just 6 seconds of the message ?
IT WILL ONLY RECORD 6 SECONDS IF DISPATCH UNKEYS BEFORE THE 6 SEC MARK, THEN FAILS TO RE-KEY UP BEFORE THE 6 SEC TIME EXPIRES. OTHERWISE IT WILL RECORD UNTIL THEY FINISH SPEAKING, THEN UNKEY

If the disptacher starts dispatching within the 6 seconds and then unkeys will the message be cut short ?
EXPLAINED ABOVE
I have the pager set up at Revert and it doesn't record the message only the tones....
YOU MUST PLUG A TIME IN THE Revert N = (__ seconds). THIS TIME TELLS THE PAGER HOW LONG TO LOOK FOR A TRANSMISSION BEFORE STOPPING THE RECORD FUNCTION. AS LONG AS DISPATCH BEGINS TRANSMITTING DURING THE Revert N = (__ seconds) TIME FRAME, THE PAGER SHOULD RECORD ALL OF THE MESSAGE. DEPENDING ON THE SETTING FOR THE STORED VOICE LENGTH, SEE BELOW.
Also what does the Dynamic feature do ? I see that I can set the stored voice length in seconds or Dynamic ? Mine is currently set to Dynamic...
THIS SETTING IS THE LENGTH OF EACH RECORDED MESSAGE. THE MINITOR V WILL RECORD A MAXIMUM TOTAL OF 8 MINUTES. IF YOU SET THE RECORD LENGTH FOR 30 SECONDS, IT WILL RECORD UP TO 16 30 SECOND MESSAGES. IF YOU SET IT FOR 60, IT WILL RECORD UP TO 8 60 SECOND MESSAGES AND SO ON. IF YOU SET IT FOR DYNAMIC, IT WILL RECORD THE ACTUAL LENGTH OF THE MESSAGE, 1 COULD BE 15 SECONDS, 1 COULD BE 27 SECONDS, 1 COULD BE 45, 1 COULD BE 127 SEC AND SO ON, UP TO A TOTAL OF 8 MINUTES. THE DYNAMIC SETTING SEEMS TO BE THE BEST, BECAUSE IT DOES NOT USE UP UNNEEDED RECORD TIME, IT ONLY SAVES THE EXACT MESSAGE LENGTH.
Basicaly I want the pager set up to record the page, and stay in the open position. My dispatch is not really on the ball and almost always drops the carrier before telling us the message... Sometimes my pages are long sometimes they are short.. I want record them all.. IS this doable ? With the least amount of white noise as possible....
WE ALWAYS SET THESE SETTINGS FOR DYNAMIC AND REVERT N =15 SECONDS, UNLESS THE CUSTOMER SPECIFICALLY ASKS FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT. USUALLY 15 SECONDS IS PLENTY ENOUGH TIME FOR DISPATCH TO BEGIN TRANSMITTING AFTER THE TONES STOP. THE COUNTY I AM IN IS SLOW KEYING BACK UP OCASSIONALLY AND THE 15 SECONDS SEEMS TO BE ENOUGH TIME, THIS TIME MAY NEED TO BE ADJUSTED FOR YOUR AREA DEPENDING ON HOW SLOW/FAST YOUR DISPATCH IS.

HOPE ALL THIS HELPS.....SORRY FOR THE BOLD AND RED, JUST WANTED TO BE CLEAR ON EVERYTHING.....

WES
Wes Hutchens
VZGuy
New User
What radios do you own?: PR1500

Post by VZGuy »

Thanks for all the info, got everything working great. I used n=15 seconds and so far so good!
weedacres
New User

Post by weedacres »

We just bought 15 new Minitor 5 SV's. We do a lot of multi tone pages, generally 2-3 tones and until yesterday they seem to work fine, alerting and storing messages as they should.
Yesterday we had a 4 tone page, with our tone being the first. Those in Selective Call just heard the last 3 tones and all of us just recorded the last 3 tones, no voice on either. Those in monitor heard the whole thing just fine.
I talked to our dealer and they routinely program with Delay=15. They suggested that 4 tones was close to 15 seconds and if the dispatched dropped carrier or didn't key the voice transmission within 15 seconds of the START of the page then this would happen.
They suggested that they change the programing to Revert=15 or more, but cautioned that would leave the pager unsquelched until it was manually reset.

I've read here that the delay/revert timer starts at the end of the last tone. The dealer sounds like he thinks it starts at the beginning of the first page. Any thoughts on this?

I'm fuzzy on the pros and cons of using delay vs revert for an agency that routinely deals with multi tone pages. I want everyone in selective call to hear the entire page as well as have that message stored. I'd also like to know if there is any downside to setting the store time to Dynamic vs a fixed time.

Thanks for any advice you may have,, Dave
Wes

Post by Wes »

weedacres wrote:I've read here that the delay/revert timer starts at the end of the last tone. The dealer sounds like he thinks it starts at the beginning of the first page. Any thoughts on this?
Neither one. The delay/revert timer starts the first time the carrier drops after the last set of decoded tones are recieved.

It is common to not record voice messages when dispatch sends the entire tone sequence (whether it be 1 set of tones or 30 sets of tones) and then unkeys the transmitter for longer than the programmed delay/revert time. This causes the delay/revert timer to expire, thus turning off the record function. As stated in the above posts, as long as the transmitter is keyed before the delay/revert time expires the pager will record the message.

Wes
Wes Hutchens
ffemt4727
New User

Post by ffemt4727 »

Our dept is looking for our Minitor III, IV, & V pagers to record and then reset themselves after the message is done. Many people are complaining about the long squelch recorded after the dispatcher is done talking. Sometimes we have as much as five tones stacked for structures fire calls. I'm looking for some help on what would be the best way to accomplish this. They are looking for not so much squelch noise before the radio resets itself.
firchief
New User

Post by firchief »

I just found this site and it's been a big help. I'm in Forida and have just been assigned the duties to program our new Min V pagers. I think I've got everything OK but the third tab. Not sure what is the best setting for each of the windows and there's very little help from Motorola help section.

Is it best to pick the 120 seconds or dynamic setting? I got the Revert N down and I'm OK with that, how about some of the others....can anyone speak to those....

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”