Firehouse Alerting

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n9upw

Firehouse Alerting

Post by n9upw »

Wondering if anyone has any experience with any 800 digital firehouse alerting systems. We recently had one installed at our department. Each fire station has two XTL500 radios. One is interfaced to the station intercom system and the other is used for normal communications (like a base unit). Each station has a switch that is labeled "Day" and "Night". In the day mode, you can hear all traffic over the intercom system. However in night mode, only after receiving a call do you hear the traffic, then after 60 seconds, the radio resets and is quiet until the next call is received. This brings me to my question: When the system is in night mode, there is a constant "tapping" noise heard on the intercom speakers throughout the station. This only happens in night mode. It almost sounds like water dripping on the speaker. Any ideas what causes this or how to correct it?

Derek, N9UPW
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Re: Firehouse Alerting

Post by nmfire10 »

Kinda depends on how they are controlling that audio. If they are using the radio's built in signaling and built in muting, it shouldn't be too hard to narrow down. Disconnect the audio from the radio. If the sound goes away, you know its the radio. If the sound remains, you know it is in the amplifier system.

If there is some external audio muting control, the sound could be coming from that too.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Alot

Re: Firehouse Alerting

Post by chartofmaryland »

If your XTL5k is in scan it will do the click in priority scan.

CoM
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”