Question about a Minitor 2 Stored Voice

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

STP354
What radios do you own?: ht1250, gm300, gp300, mcs2000

Question about a Minitor 2 Stored Voice

Post by STP354 »

Hello,

Here's a simple question for anyone. I have a Minitor 2 SV model and there are two positions on the top switch. A bell and a speaker symbol with a line through it. What do these mean and is this Minitor capable of monitoring radio traffic or only when it alerts?
Wes

Re: Question about a Minitor 2 Stored Voice

Post by Wes »

It sounds like to me what you have is a Director II SV and someone has put it into Minitor II SV housing. The Director II does not have the capability to monitor. The bell position is tone alert and the speaker with line through it is vibrate alert. If you have the time, correct parts (no longer avaliable from Motorola) and determination the Director II can be modified to have monitor, but it is very tedious work and to me not worth all the trouble. I have seen one done and it worked great, but it was a headache to do.

Wes
Wes Hutchens
911 Telecommunicator/2-Way Sales & Service
STP354
What radios do you own?: ht1250, gm300, gp300, mcs2000

Post by STP354 »

Thank you. I think that does answer my question because it does have the vibrate option. I recrystaled it and the only time I can listen is when I press the squelch button. I haven't had a chance to see if it activates yet with the tones but the audio is clear when I do listen.
res6cue

Post by res6cue »

If it has the vibrate option, then it's most certainly a Director II, as the Minitor II did not come with a vibrate option. You can also take a look at the part #'s of the decoder board (the bigger main board) to verify for certain. A Director II SV decoder board would be P/N NRN6702A, whereas a Minitor II SV decoder board would be P/N NRN7795A.

As Wes said, the Director II was not designed to monitor. There is a company down in Florida that makes an add on monitor board for it, but last I checked it was a $70 option. For that amount, you could most certainly find a used Minitor II SV in good shape. You can use the Director II RF board you already have, just swap it right over to the Minitor II SV decoder board.
W8RW

Post by W8RW »

I have a Minitor II SV that has the vibrate option; it is single channel. The top position is alert tone, the middle position is vibrate, and the bottom position is monitor.
res6cue

Post by res6cue »

Yes, there are MII SV pagers out there with the vibrate option, however it was not a factory option from Motorola, you had to add it yourself. MII RF boards, because they are dual-frequency capable (whether or not the second frequency is actually installed), have extra surface mount components on the board. These components prevent the board from physically fitting against the vibrator assembly. So you either have to use a DII RF board (which does not have these extra components as they are only single-frequency capable), or you have to perform minor surgery on an MII RF board to remove these extra components so it will fit with the vibrator installed on the decoder/audio board.

In any case, it's relatively simple to figure out what you have by looking at the P/N of the boards.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”