Minitor V question

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jt118f4

Minitor V question

Post by jt118f4 »

I have a M5 programmed with 5 different dept. tones. 4 of these are standard Motorola tone format pairs. The fifth one is 832.5 (Motorola)/937.5 (GE 99).
When selecting user tone format some of the Motorola tones will not work as they are too far off. Same for the GE tone format. Any suggestions?
Al

Re: Minitor V question

Post by Al »

Can you quantify "too far off"? In percentage terms, everything should work if the tone values that appear when you select 'user' are within +/- 1.5% of the actual frequencies. I don't ever remember seeing a case where selecting user format did not allow the pager to work.
jt118f4

Post by jt118f4 »

When I do the user setting and enter the number of the second tone (937.5), it changes it to 928.1 and the pager won't activate.
Al

Post by Al »

Have you verified that all tone pairs(each tone in its pair is more than 1.55% away from the other tone of the pair) follow the spacing rule explained in the Min V programming help? More importantly, are you certain that the GE tone frequency is the one that's actually being used?
Finally, you didn't state what version of the pager firmware is installed and what version of the Min V programming software you're using to program the unit.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

jt118f4 wrote:When I do the user setting and enter the number of the second tone (937.5), it changes it to 928.1 and the pager won't activate.
Mine changes to 937.9.

Jim
jt118f4

Post by jt118f4 »

The firmware is 3.0 and the software is 1.4.0. The GE tone is correct.
rckeller

Post by rckeller »

Hello all,
This may be a related issue.

Our dept has just purchased 8 dual channel Minitor Vs (VHF). I'm responsible for programming them. I set the System Tone to 'User', and when I attempt to program the Call Tones to our freqs (which work fine on our Minitor IVs), the programming software 'forces' small but meaningful adjustments by changing the freqs. Example: Tone 1 = 305.0... software changes this to 305.1. Tone 2 = 2259.8.... software changes this to 2259.9 (and sometimes to 2271.4). Some of the changes seem to be from the Motorola System Tone table... even though I'm using the User System Tone.

The pagers are all brand new as is the software; current firmware version and programming software version.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-rckeller
Al

Post by Al »

The current programming software version is 1.7.2, which M just released a day or two ago. I think you can still download the newest version free of charge from the Motorola CGIS site. Changes of less than 1 - 1.5% between entered frequencies and displayed frequencies should still allow the Min V to alert properly.
don2557
New User

Post by don2557 »

No need to worry about the displayed tone frequency and the tone frequency you actually entered. The displayed frequency is the closest digital representation and will not alter performance of the pager. The tone frequency you referenced was 305. Actually the correct tone is 304.7 Hz. The difference between what you enter and what gets displayed should be less than 0.2%.

The information you received from CGIS indicating that a 1% to 1.5% displayed frequency difference could be displayed and that the pager will still work is totally incorrect. There would never be a difference of this magnitude. In fact if your pager would work with a 1.5% difference then it would also be susceptible to falsing on other tones.

There was also some mention of Minitor V pagers no longer receiving or basically dead. You might try to turn off and back on again. If the pager starts working again then the problem is most likely the VCO is unlocking. If this is the case then I doubt there is a solution.

If you continue to have problems with the Minitor V send me a post. I may be able to answer some questions.
ffexpCP

Post by ffexpCP »

Do you have a link to the new version of the software? I looked and couldn't find any links where they used to be.

I know it used to be a free download from M, did that change?

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”