Minitor 2 II WHITE NOISE problems

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

chrismoll
New User

Minitor 2 II WHITE NOISE problems

Post by chrismoll »

I bought a minitor 2 for $20 off ebay so I could listen to the counties fire dispatch, as I dont have a scanner with low band, I use Motorola radio gear for specific bands.
I dont have any tones for it so I leave it on "1" to hear everything, after a few days fo having it, I turned it on one day and it wouldnt stop making white noise.
I found a solve to this is taking the bottom on your hand and hitting it just below the Motorola Minitor II label on the front, it will go away
My question is:
1. What is causing this?
2. How do I fix this?
I can turn up the squelch if I need to so this will go away but i'm not sure if it will help so i'm looking for some pros who know this stuff

TELL ME ANYTHING! ITS MY PERSONAL MINITOR 2 I BOUGHT OFF EBAY!
So YOU CAN TELL ME TO DO WHATEVER TO IT! I DONT CARE, ITS MINE, so no worries about it being a departments one!
HACK AWAY AT IT!
thanks guys
Lake Effect

Re: Minitor 2 II WHITE NOISE problems

Post by Lake Effect »

When it is making this noise, start to remove the screw in the bottom. If the noise stops, you probably have a squelch control pot that needs to be repaired. It happened a lot with the Min 2. I would usually remove them to find that one leg had never taken solder properly. After cleaning the legs and giving them a thin coat of solder, reattach and all is well.

L.E.
chrismoll
New User

Post by chrismoll »

Lake Effect wrote:When it is making this noise, start to remove the screw in the bottom. If the noise stops, you probably have a squelch control pot that needs to be repaired. It happened a lot with the Min 2. I would usually remove them to find that one leg had never taken solder properly. After cleaning the legs and giving them a thin coat of solder, reattach and all is well.

L.E.
got any pictures or something I could follow?
You are saying that the squelch knob (the white plastic phillips screw head thing) needs to be looked at on the bottom?
thanks for the responce
Lake Effect

Post by Lake Effect »

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. The screw I mentioned is the one that holds the housing on the pager. I only mentioned it because by starting to remove it, the stress on the circuit board changes and most times the noise will stop. Just a troubleshooting tool.

Once you have the housing off the pager, the squelch control is near the bottom of the main board. There is an access hole through the small rf board for adjustment. That is the control pot that I resolder/repair. Only once had to go as far as replace.

L.E.
chrismoll
New User

Post by chrismoll »

Lake Effect wrote:Sorry, I don't have any pictures. The screw I mentioned is the one that holds the housing on the pager. I only mentioned it because by starting to remove it, the stress on the circuit board changes and most times the noise will stop. Just a troubleshooting tool.

Once you have the housing off the pager, the squelch control is near the bottom of the main board. There is an access hole through the small rf board for adjustment. That is the control pot that I resolder/repair. Only once had to go as far as replace.

L.E.
I turned up the squelch, sometimes it still does that and sometimes it doesnt, very annoying though, I think i'm just going to sell it as parts, it was purcashed for $20 anyway, not worth getting it repaired for $60 on the bench, I have my real eye set on a Minitor V, and I will just leave that on monitor
thanks for the help,
I will just have to twist that screw or bang on the front

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”