Baud rate

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

K8DNS

Baud rate

Post by K8DNS »

Can the baud rate be changed in the programming on an Advisor?

Thanks
Dave
tvsjr

Re: Baud rate

Post by tvsjr »

Yes. Assuming you're talking about the old "brick" Advisors, the vast majority are capable of 512/1200, but only some are capable of 512/1200/2400.
K8DNS

Post by K8DNS »

You are correct about them being "bricks". I have a couple and can't activate any of them due to the baud rate. The few paging companies left only support "flex" protocol. I love the old bricks, I guess I'll have to buy my own transmitter.
Dave
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I'd suggest an Advisor FLEX Elite (or its Unication clone) for FLEX. Pretty much no one runs POCSAG anymore, except for certain dedicated providers (fire departments, medical paging, etc.) The typical providers don't want to support it since the channel has to "downshift" from FLEX to POCSAG, and they can send dozens of pages in the time it takes to shift to POCSAG, transmit one page (even at 2400), and switch back to FLEX.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”