Min 5 Vacuum Packed?

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tron
What radios do you own?: Too many to list

Min 5 Vacuum Packed?

Post by Tron »

Was talking to /\/\oto service and they tell me that they don't have any parts for these units because the pager is vacuum sealed to be explosion proof. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? I've heard alot of claims over the years on different things so I'm naturally curious on this one. :-)

Tron
"Where the Old Soo crosses the New Soo, Duplainville, Wisconsin"
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Min 5 Vacuum Packed?

Post by escomm »

They are FM rated for intrinsic safety so they have to be worked at an FM-approved shop in order to maintain that rating. I suspect MSS with FM-approval (it's expensive, 7 figures to get, 6 figures to maintain) could get parts from Moto but at a ~$100 flat-rate it's much easier just to send it in
Tron
What radios do you own?: Too many to list

Post by Tron »

This "vacuum packed" thing seems to be over the top considering there are jacks and controls and reset switch which would no way maintain a real vacuum. Some day I'll open one up and see whats really inside.

Tron
"Where the Old Soo crosses the New Soo, Duplainville, Wisconsin"
Zack08

Post by Zack08 »

They're not constantly under vacuum, that's just how they test them for intrinsic sacety. I think they might draw a vacuum and see how high they can get it before one of the seals starts to leak. If it holds up to sufficient pressure, I think they give it the rating.

.....but I dont know for sure, thats just my guess 8)
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

"Vacuum testing" tests to see if it is submersible. For the FM rating they measure how much stray RF at a given distance comes from the pager.
Dave
Zack08

Post by Zack08 »

DJP126 wrote:"Vacuum testing" tests to see if it is submersible.
Yeah, youre right. What was I thinking? :lol:

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”