Minitor III Squelch Problem

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Zack08

Minitor III Squelch Problem

Post by Zack08 »

Hey guys, I have a low band M3 that is having issues. If I leave the pager sit, sometimes the squelch will open up and remain open until the case is gently squeezed. Carefully turning the pager off and on does not fix it, and changing channels does not fix it, only a squeeze of the case.

My guess is a cold solder joint somewhere, but I dont know where the squelch portion of the circuitry is located. (And I cant find any service manuals. Google has failed me.....)

It doest happen often, so I dont really feel like its worth it to reflow a bunch of components and hope it works, but if somebody knows a specific point worth looking at, I'll give it a shot.

But it is kind of a PITA to have to get out of my chair to just to give the pager a squeeze :lol:

(Oh, and is the squelch level in the M3 set on the board, or is it a softpot in service mode? I wouldnt know, as I only have the DOS PPS.)
Zack08

Re: Minitor III Squelch Problem

Post by Zack08 »

I fixed the problem, but I'm still curious if the squelch is a softpot or not....
Al

Post by Al »

Squelch settings did not become a softpot until Minitor IV or later.
Zack08

Post by Zack08 »

Thats what I was thinking, but I wanted confirmation.

Thank you!
BLS501
New User
What radios do you own?: RMV800, XTS2500 M3 VHF

Post by BLS501 »

How did you fix this? My dad is having the same problem with his Minitor 3 .. I told him the way you fix it was to smash the III and get a V but he wants to keep the Minitor III.
pigpen484
New User

Post by pigpen484 »

i also would like to know what you did to fix this problem

thanks

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”