Minitor IV RX Issues

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ayaresr

Minitor IV RX Issues

Post by ayaresr »

I have been having some problems with several pagers here for the local fire dept. I have a couple Minitor 4's that aren't receiving well, if at all. One or two will RX if they are moved around until the squelch breaks. A few others will not even break squelch. Under the adjustment for squelch, is the squelch opened more toward the higher numbered end of the slider? Also, is there any RF tuning that can be done on the bench for these units? It seems even on one that was able to maintain open squelch, it was very difficult to pick out much of an intelligible message out of the noise. That, or are these receivers really just this bad? I know I am in a good signal area as multiple other receivers are able to bring in this frequency.
Thanks, Ryan
MOTO_LR

Re: Minitor IV RX Issues

Post by MOTO_LR »

Ryan,

The Minitor IV squelch setting of 10 is open squelch. "1" is full tight squelch. "8" is the factory default.

The Minitor IV is certainly not as sensitive as a Minitor II or Minitor V, but normally work pretty well in areas
of good signal strength.

What is your paging frequency?
What is the straight line distance to your paging transmitter and are there obstructions (hills, etc)?
What make and model receivers do you have that provide satisfactory reception?

Bob
ayaresr

Post by ayaresr »

Frequency is VHF (155MHz). Distance between myself and the transmitter is roughly 8 miles line of sight with no major obstacles (mainly residential with some woods and a large swamp in between). Other receivers that have not shown a problem here are Minitor 2's, some other Minitor 4's, various scanners, as well as an MTS2000 portable. So far every one of the M4's I have looked at is set at the default squelch setting of 8.
Thanks, Ryan
chrismoll12

Post by chrismoll12 »

Hmm, try setting the squelch at 9. 10 might be too much and give false RF noise when you move around electronic devices. I had a V that would open squelch when i was around a computer or anyything like that. I ended up putting it on Selective call most of the time

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”