POCSAG on MURS

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hb7
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1000, Maxtrac, Syntor X9000

POCSAG on MURS

Post by hb7 »

Hey everyone,

I’m trying to put together a simple portable POCSAG paging system on MURS on a budget using some equipment that I already have.
I don’t have much knowledge about any digital stuff so any feedback would be appreciated.

I read a few things online, including this thread http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 96&start=0 which helped a lot.... but I'd like to know if my idea would work, or if it's just crazy 8)

The Setup
I would use a VHF HT1000 (H01KDC9AA3DN) with a NMN-6193 mic.
If you pull down the rubber cover/grommet on the mic side, there is an RJ 45 connector. From there I’d connect it to a project box which would handle PTT and connect the mic input to a computer that has a POCSAG encoder.
(And also get a nice external antenna and a couple of used pagers online.)

Legal with MURS? - It looks like POCSAG is F2D. I looked up the FCC ID (AZ489FT3768) and the radio was certified for 11K0F2D on Part 90 prior to 2002. From what I’ve read online, if the radio was Part 90 before then, it will be legal. The power level will be set to low (1W) in the RSS with no external control – ABC switch will not change power.

I know I’m not using a data input or real data radio, but would it be possible to get this to work using the microphone input? What if I use 512 baud?

Thanks!
Al

Re: POCSAG on MURS

Post by Al »

Be sure to program the HT for *no* preemphasis on transmit....the 6 dB/octave internal preemphasis will do nasty things to the squarewave generated by your encoder that pocsag pagers won't like. And keep the deviation to within +/- 4.5 Khz on your carrier so the transmit emissions fall below the emission mask specified in the MURS rules.
512 baud will guarantee a lower error rate at the receiving pager because of the longer bit times and poorer c/n caused by your low transmit power than would 1200 or 2400 baud.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”