Narrow band changeover - how will this effect paging?

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Narrow band changeover - how will this effect paging?

Post by chipjumper »

Whats the bottom line on this? I can't find anything specific on this. Will we have to throw all of our Minitor II's and Swissphones in the trash for narrowband ready ones?

"A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood." -Patton
tvsjr

Re: Narrow band changeover - how will this effect paging?

Post by tvsjr »

Yep.
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

I actually got through to Swissphone N.A. and they stated that their wideband pagers in circulation can be changed over for a small fee; around $25. I also heard that the narrowband pagers are working on wideband just fine too.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

In Canada we have been narrowband for about 8 years. We have converted some larger fire systems to narrowband opperation.

We are running Minitor II, III, IV and V's (only the V's are narrowband capable).

Generally there are no issues. Audio level is lower and is only noticable in very high noise levels. We see 1 to 2 dB decrease in RX sensitivity. This relates to about a 10% range reduction.

So, you should only notice an issue in very marginal issue.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”