Motorola Minitor Comparison

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

Motorola Minitor Comparison

Post by Jim1348 »

I have tried a Google search, but I am coming up short on this. Does anybody have a URL to a site that compares the features of the various Motorola Minitors? I may want to buy a new or used Motorola Minitor for VHF high band, but I am not sure which one I want to get yet. I seem to recall over the years that not all of them were created equally. I don't want any more of the original Minitors because I definitely want something programmable, but beyond that I need help with which are capable of two channels, stored voice, etc.
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Re: Motorola Minitor Comparison

Post by ai4ui »

I don't know of a site that would give what you are asking for. Batlabs.com has some information, but no side by side comparsions. I'm sure someone else can provide better, more accurate information, but this is what I know:

Minitor - Single channel, crystal controlled, uses plug in modules to determine CAP code, can have 1 CAP code plus a group page, or 2 CAP codes in the same group with a group page. There is a rare PL version that monitors a frequency in PL or carrier squelch. These were made in the 70's.

Minitor II - Probably the best pager Motorola ever made. Factory support has long since gone away and yet many agencies still use them. Crystal controlled and can have two channels but does not scan from the factory. There are some scan modification kits available on the net. Pretty much the same CAP code options as the Minitor. Stored voice was an option and had additional circuitry.

Minitor III/IV - These are completely synthesized and computer programmable. Can be one or two frequency with scan. The programming software can be hacked to enable the second channel on single channel models. Multiple CAP codes and options, all configurable with the software. There was an issue with the Minitor III with the audio IC coming loose from the circuit board and the Minitor IV was supposed to address this. Not a real good pager, but I suppose if the Minitor II hadn't been so good, then the III/IV probably wouldn't have such a bad rap. Stored voice was an option and had additional circuitry.

Minitor V - current production model with similar features of the III/IV. A bit better reception, better audio, much longer battery life. It has a funky battery that slides into the unit from the back. There have been some issues with them dying for no apparent reason, and been some problems with the amplified charger. IMHO, better than the Minitor III/IV, but not as good as the II. The software for these has also been hacked to change from a one channel to a two channel w/ scan. These also can be programmed for narrowband operation. Stored voice is an option and has additional circuitry.

Hope this helps. I would suggest a Minitor V and buy the 5 year warrenty. Otherwise its about $85 to get it fixed when it mysteriously stops working.
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: Motorola Minitor Comparison

Post by n7maq »

You might be thinking of P&W http://www.pwservice.com/pagers/fire_pagers.aspx

ai4ui gave you a very good and spot-on description and his advice on getting the Minitor V and the extended warranty is good.

I will also add that you may want to look at the new Swissphone RE729 Pager it has way many more options than you will ever use, but they are there if you need them.

http://www.swissphone.com

Jim

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”