Minitor V charger problem

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

Minitor V charger problem

Post by arlojanis »

I have several Minitor V chargers that will not charge the pager, but will charge the spare battery. It is not a contact problem. Is there a fix for this?
"The world runs on radio."
Al

Re: Minitor V charger problem

Post by Al »

The problem lies within the pager's charging circuitry, not the charger in most cases. Unless you want to void the IS rating, assuming that you're not a FM approved shop, the depot is the answer.
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

What he said...

Send them in and for about $85 a pop you'll get a new pager with your old serial number. Seems kind of dumb that the customer has to pay for the repair of a design flaw, but that's how Motorola rolls.
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

The chargers will not charge any pager, not even new ones.
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

Take the charger apart and look for dust bunnies and other trash where the spring loaded pins of the cradel contact the circuit board. I've fixed a few where there has been something under the pin keeping it from touching the ckt. board.
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

Contact pins are clean, top and bottom.
Al

Post by Al »

I've repaired a few, too, with bent pins(sticking) and a few others with very minor liquid damage. I've never seen a schematic for these, and they're fairly complex with switching regulators and sophisticated battery charge sensing circuits, so local repair here is limited in scope. Because of the relatively low cost, replacement is usually the best option. The RLN 5703 is now in its third revision (C) and the new wallwarts are switching types as well as the internal regulators/charge controllers. All versions have two separate identical internal regulators/charge controllers, so if you really want to take the time, one might use the functioning controller to troubleshoot the nonfunctional one. Good luck obtaining replacement parts.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”