Whats the Right Way to Setting up Dual Speakers on a SS2000?

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Ben10001
New User
What radios do you own?: EX600, EX500, HT750 and more

Whats the Right Way to Setting up Dual Speakers on a SS2000?

Post by Ben10001 »

I have an SS2000SM with two MS100 (Flat Dynamax), I set them up with both speakers black wire to the harness wire marked COMMON and then one speaker to the low power and the other to the high power think that this would give me 200W, but it didnt really sound that loud.

I pulled the speaker from the LOW and left only the HIGH and the single speaker sounded more powerful then both combined!

I know I must be doing something wrong, any ideas?
Ben,
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Re: Whats the Right Way to Setting up Dual Speakers on a SS2

Post by Code3 »

As per the installation manual http://www.fedsig.com/docs/255275H.pdf

"The SS2000SS can drive one or two 11-ohm
impedance high power (100 Watt) or low power (58
Watt) speakers. When two speakers are used they
must always be connected in parallel and in phase."

Which is to say, connect your second speaker to the same output as the first, and with the same polarity.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

As CODE3 mentions, both speakers should be wired in parallel (the white wires from both speakers connected together and both black wires from both speakers connected together).

The white wires from the speaker should connect to the SS2000 harness marked COMMON, and the black wires from the speaker should connect to the SS2000 harness marked HIGH.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

If loud is your concern, wire them up properly... then throw away those junky Dynamax speakers.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

We have found the Federal Signal AS124 speakers to be the most reliable, and as loud as any other speaker we have tested (using a peak sound meter, at multiple points on and off axis, in an open test range). Price is reasonable on them.
Ben10001
New User
What radios do you own?: EX600, EX500, HT750 and more

Post by Ben10001 »

So I leave the LOW alone completely and just push both speakers together. Got it. Thanks for that! I guess I dont understand what parallel and in phase means.

About the MS100 being junky, I have a problem, the space they are installed in is tight (between the grill and radiator) and no other speaker would fit. In general I was always happy with how they performed. The AS124 is just 4 inces too chubby to fit in my application.

Thanks guys for all the great responses!
Ben,

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”