Rescue Boat Install.

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

Rescue Boat Install.

Post by jmr3865 »

Hi guys
I need to install and siren and a speaker on a rescue boat. The siren head will be in a water resistant box but the boat is still on the water. I also dont want to to be too loud that we on the boat will be def after using it. The siren also needs to have a PA. Im looking for suggestions on which siren and speaker would be best for these elements and any advice on installing them. Obviously, all connections will be sealed, etc. etc. etc.

thanks
JMR
KC2QVO
Astro Spectra

Re: Rescue Boat Install.

Post by Astro Spectra »

If you are serious about a decent system then a single Power Sonix PSNAV12 300W unit should do the job. See: http://www.powersonix.com These babies will deliver 135 db SPL at 3 feet (about 15 dB above hearing damage) but if you are in something like a forty footer plus boat and in the wheel house you won't go deaf.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

Im in a 18' open boat. Not too loud. Thanks
JMR
KC2QVO
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Oh, well any plastic fantastic speaker is going to do the job. I'd go for a pair of Shakespeare HS-40 white plastic horn speakers. Any good marine outlet should be able to get them for you. These are 8 ohms and 40 watts (RMS). You'll need a pair to handle the output of a typical 100W siren, hook them in series as most siren amps look for 11 ohms. You won’t get the whole 100W but in a fizz boat you don’t want all that noise anyway.
KB2ZTX
was jsikora

Post by KB2ZTX »

We just have a standard code III siren with bell on it mounted on the roof. Siren is a federal PA300 with PA. Dont think we have ever used the siren, but use the PA often
KB2ZTX
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

jsikora , What kind of speaker do you use? I need something small and light weight.
JMR
KC2QVO
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Acutally the chrome motorcycle speakers will work just fine. Projects in a nice cone forward and then just set the output (if your siren amp is selectable) to 58watts (common setting).

It is a siren after all so there isn't too much play as they are made to certain certification standards. Most are 100/200 watts, but some of the Federal Sig and I older Whelen ones have 58 watt options.

Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

Never thought of that! Thanks!
JMR
KC2QVO
KB2ZTX
was jsikora

Post by KB2ZTX »

jmr3865 wrote:jsikora , What kind of speaker do you use? I need something small and light weight.
This is it -

Cheap and simple. Think it was a galls $99.00 special
KB2ZTX
marvin16
New User

Post by marvin16 »

Sir Astro Spectra, do you have an idea how much a single Power Sonix PSNAV12 300W unit cost? I've visited their page and send them email but until now I am waiting for their response.
We want to set up a Public address on a port to inform moored and berthing vessels. I think this system will fit. Is there other system that we can use? Thank nyou very much Sir! Regards
marvin16
New User

Post by marvin16 »

Is there any one who have already used the Power Sonix Public Address System? Thanks in advance..

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”