Installin' Rookie

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

motorolamonster911

Installin' Rookie

Post by motorolamonster911 »

Well, I think its time to start doing alot more installs.

I have done a few major installs (strobes, led's, multiple radios & scanners, chargers, and such )

and alot minor installs like a radio and a 1/4 wave.

Usually I dont have the right tools, and when I improvise to make it work right, it takes me 10x longer.

Can anyone help me come up with a list of very useful tools to keep handy. I have the basics of screwdrivers and ratchets and that stuff. I'm looking more along the lines of drill bits, panel poppers, and ect. Also some good tips to keep in mind would be nice.

Thanks for the help guys!
MotorolaMonster911

"If at first you don't succeed, read the manual" - Montgomery's Maxim
"The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again." (E-bay Scenario) - Somebody
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

Dikes
Stipers
Good quility Crimper
Coax crimper
channel locks
vise grips
Hook tool kit
Sockets sae and metric
adjustable wrenches
Panel Poper
brad Puller
linesmens pliers
nut drivers
3/4 inch nmo hole saw
1 inch hole saw (hide-e-aways)
a good multi meter
automtive Logic probe.
amp pin style crimper
good screw drivers

90 Degree battery drill
also 90 degress adapter
and so many others to metion that the top of my head
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

There was a post the Code3Response had when he first started getting serious about installs and he got some really good replies. I can't find it right now but the post is out there.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
jim

Post by jim »

Why does everybody always list "DIKES" first? :lol:
c17loadsmasher

Post by c17loadsmasher »

Don't use those crappy crimp-on coax connectors. They leak signal and allow ingress. If you want good connectors, use the ones like the Snap & Seal and the ones PPC makes. They're a compression crimp. May cost more, but they're alot better.

PPC
Plain language is the DEVIL. Ten-Codes Forever!!!
jim

Post by jim »

...and "strippers" second?

Is the male mind really in the gutter at all times? (um...yeah!)

Seriously though, if you are going to do any installations, the first thing you need is insurance. If you install something in a new $735,000 ladder truck and it burns down two weeks later (whether it's your fault or not), you had better have coverage, 'cause that's the first thing the owner's insurance company is going to ask for and I'm sure they're not gonna be nice about it. Most of us don't have an extra 3/4 million laying around.

Make sure the policy covers the vehicle while in your posession and also covers the work after delivery.

This goes for everyone installing base stations, repeaters and towers also.
commtek
Batboard $upporter

Post by commtek »

Amen to Jim's post!! Seems like every agency has at least one person who thinks they know more than you do, and I have had a few occasions where they snuck in and "fixed" your work, Do you REALLY think they're gonna fess up when they cause a fire or other damage? :lol:

That's why I have business insurance, and, as Jim always says, stick to SAE methods and materials......
motorolamonster911

Post by motorolamonster911 »

Well, what kinda money am I looking at for insurance?

Which company is good to go with?

I dont have a business, but do them on the side, what kinda coverage would I need?

Thanks

NIck
MotorolaMonster911

"If at first you don't succeed, read the manual" - Montgomery's Maxim
"The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again." (E-bay Scenario) - Somebody
Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

You should probably call up your state Business Association and get a business permit first. They are pretty cheap to get. You more than likely cant get insurance with out a legal business.
Bob

Post by Bob »

That's a good question; and something that I'm interested in as well. Being unemployed for almost a year now, I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to secure more income. I enjoy doing installs, and it's something that I do fairly well. With a little more practice and schooling, I think it's something that I could excel at. I have a reputation in the community for doing good work. I've been approached by departments and asked if I would do flycars, chiefs' cars, trailers, etc. As much as I would love to do the work, I have to keep turning it down because I'm not insured and I don't have a legitimate business. Starting my own company and obtaining a DBA isn't a big deal. I wouldn't know where to begin to look for insurance or what to look for.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

Code3Response wrote:You should probably call up your state Business Association and get a business permit first. They are pretty cheap to get. You more than likely cant get insurance with out a legal business.
You should take note of this too Matt as I can find no FBN filing in your county for Code3Response (Or any variant), or any business owned by either Matt, Matthew or any variant of Steven. The only thing I found was a Topo map service, nothing to do with any two way/lighting installations. You're a business man don't you start off with at least a FBN?
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
w7com
What radios do you own?: MCS2000, HT1000, Pageboy II

Post by w7com »

My wife and I do consulting (i.e.; self-unemployed) and formed our own company, Nethead, Inc. It's an S-Corp and just the two of us. The nice thing about it is that it protects our personal property (House, cars, & etc.) if something really goes wrong. In Washington State it costs about $250 to get all the paperwork and numbers setup. Then we just have the company take out taxes and pay us when we do work. Our bookkeeper costs about $200-300 a year. Not bad for a company that took in about $100,000 last year.

One other nice thing about having a company is that you can just invoice a department or other company for work that you do. None of the 1099 hassles for them or haveing to do it "under the table." It makes it so much more standard for businesses to deal with you then. They don't have to worry so much about THEIR insureance liabilities if you get hurt. No questions about if you were really an employee or not.

It's also easier dealing with suppliers if you are a company with a A/R and A/P department (that box of bills on your desk.) Often it allows you to get credit and 30-90 day billing so that you can get the parts to do the job before you have the money.
-Joe@nethead.com, Tulalip, WA
I have a private email server in my basement.
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

Get a good strong magnet out of a hard drive to use to catch the shavings when drilling holes....
jeremycharris

Post by jeremycharris »

Super glue.....Its great for cuts and it kills the pain on contact
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

One thing I will never be without is a professional crimper for the ring/spade/butt terminals with the red/blue/yellow insulation. I personally like the AMP pro crimpers but Packard has some nice ones, 3M too. These are a must to properly crimp these connectors and after crimping TUG on them like you mean it. All outdoor connections are of a waterproof type too. And each and every crimp gets done right and thoroughly inspected. (One little tidbit I learned in a class was not to twist the strands, just insert them as they come in the wire).

Another thing I like is Ideal wire strippers, they avoid tugging on the wire anywhere else and make a nice clean strip with no lost strands.

Finally I like lots of wire, all different sizes and colors, makes for a professional look and it is nice to have appropriately sized wire, wire that is too big just makes things miserable.

Birken

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”