Problem with Siren Unit

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

chief3

Problem with Siren Unit

Post by chief3 »

We have a Fed Sig PA300 in one of our duty trucks. When the siren is turned on (power on, in manual mode), and you key the mic on the mobile (Motorola CDM1250) the siren activates itself.

From what the guys on shift have been telling me, this has been a problem for a couple years and the installation shop says it is in the siren box not the installation job.

Can someone help me out here. We would like to get this fixed.
mottyk

Post by mottyk »

Sounds like a ground feedback issue :evil: . Make sure all your grounds are good. I had a similar problem, keying to radio would activste my ss2000. After fixing the ground on the antenna the problem was resolved. Good luck.
:) mottyk
sig goes here PM if you have any ideas
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I have seen this happen due to RF from the transmitter getting into the siren. Try moving some of the cables around

Jim
Glen W Christen

Siren

Post by Glen W Christen »

You might also try by-passing all of the wires to ground with a small capacitor, such as a .01 uF. This used to fix many problems with high-power, low-band units when they were popular.
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

I just sold two sirens to a customer that is having that identical problem with the PA300. Federal Signal didn't have any ideas to fix the problem, according to my customer. For the amount of money that people pay for the PA300, much better sirens can be bought.
John

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”