Watts on strobe power supplies

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

Watts on strobe power supplies

Post by arlojanis »

I have noticed watts values on strobe power supplies. I have not seen watts on strobe tubes. How do you match them?
"The world runs on radio."
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

The 'average' strobe tube will handle 27 watts. power supplies are designed to only output 20-25 watts per head, so as not to overpower the bulb- you can run 2 heads with a 180 watt supply if you want. The more heads you run, the less power each head will receive, however, and a good rule of thumb is 15-20 watts per head ideally. Just take the supply's rated output and divide it by the # of heads you are wanting to run to figure out the wattage you'll get per head.
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

If the power supply is REGULATED (most are not), then it will supply a set wattage to each outlet regardless of how many are enabled and how many are connected. For example, the ISP188 will deliver 22.5 watts to each strobe head all the time no matter what.

If the power supply is UNREGULATED (most), the power is devided evenly amongst all the connected strobe heads. The wattage advertised is the full power wattage with all the outlets enabled. A 6 oulet / 90 watt power supply has 90 watts to split between 6 active outlets. If you have all outlets enabled but you unplug one of them, now you have 90 watts divided among 5 outlets. Unplug 2, you have 90 watts divided among 4 outlets. Etc. If you disable a set of outlets with the control wires, it will reduce power to accomodate the lower number of strobe tubes however what it reduces to is often not published.

I personally never like to see any less than 20 watts per strobe tube. Any less than 15 watts per strobe head classifies it as a toy.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
kb3jkp
Banned

Post by kb3jkp »

4 outlet 90 watt PS's.............. or 6 outlet 90W power suuplies,but only using four outlets......

THAT is the way to go....

NMFIRE nailed it on the head...

although I've seen strobe tubes rated ~30-32 watts...
IMBEJames

Post by IMBEJames »

Just keep in mind if youre talking about hideaway strobes....

You can spend a LOT of money for a good power supply, but improper placement of hideaway tubes in a reflector assembly will seriously cut down on the intensity. Tube placement can make the difference between a blinky toy or lethally bright warning lights.
James Eslinger

York, Maine

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”