headlight flasher question

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fdnyems49

headlight flasher question

Post by fdnyems49 »

I own a 01 tahoe, i purchashed a ground sided flasher through gall's. i cannot figure out how to have the headlights alternate unless the lowbeams are on. If anyone can help with detailed info for wirinig and where to find the wiring please help me.... thank you.....
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

The 2001 Tahoe is Positive switched, not ground side switched. You have the wrong flasher.
John
fdnyems49

Post by fdnyems49 »

i was told that the 01 tahoe is grnd switched i also have DRL. i tried my old flasher which was pos and did not work. any one with info please help with wiring and where wires are located....Thank u again....
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

What color headlight wires do you have?
John
fdnyems49

Post by fdnyems49 »

purple an orange w/ drl
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

What is the model number of your flasher?

Check the following link for modifications for the galls flashers. I do not use the Galls products, so I cannot help you with the wiring schematics, but they should have sent you some with the flasher.

http://www.galls.com/headlight_flasher.html
John
fdnyems49

Re: headlight flasher question

Post by fdnyems49 »

Hello to all...

I am still at it with this headlight flasher....I have a 01 tahoe non police package....i was told that this truck is ground sided.....i had a galls flasher and revoved it..... i have obtained a federal signal fa4c rdg ground sided flasher...can anybody please help me out how to install it with drl....I would like it to alternate with the low beams off...pleeeaaassee help me out......
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

As far as I know and what I have installed. It is not possible to have the low beams off and the high beams to flash. I did the research and Sound off signal advises that a ground side switched flasher, and the low beams must stay on.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Late post, but in case other people run into this...

Apparently Chevy used ground sided switching on the 00-03? C/K platform trucks (Suburban, tahoe, avalanche, etc). On most of the models, the DRL's via the highbeam? are powered off each other. Essentially, the DRL's are postiviely switched, but get their ground from the highbeam wire or low beam or some crazy thing like that. Its all interconnected. Most people where using the fog lights (and also have heard that some fog's are/were also wired like that) as the wigways. Many agencies just installed strobes in the highbeam assembly.

Starting with the 04 models, they went back to positive switched/normal headlights.

Sound-Off also has a good chart on what vehicles needs to use what kind of flasher, if any. I did not consult said chart before writing above, but seems to be accurate.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
pigpen484
New User

Post by pigpen484 »

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”