SmartSiren Question

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

K6UK

SmartSiren Question

Post by K6UK »

I know that it is possible to disable siren tones when programming the SmarSiren - but I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that even if all sirens are disabled, a short tap of the horn ring will produce a siren tone.

Is this true? I am thinking about buying a used unit, but as a volunteer cannot have the siren tones. I do need the lighting control functions and like the flexibility of the control panel.

Thanks for your help.

-Mike
eboe

Post by eboe »

i don't know whether a short tap of the horn ring will produce a siren tone or not, but if you're not planning on using any siren tones, just don't connect the horn-ring circuit. it's not mandatory for the unit to function.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
K6UK

Post by K6UK »

Well... I would like the airhorn to sound with hornring - if possible.
Thanks!
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Post by Code3 »

You can program the horn ring to be either manual, or air horn.
K6UK

Post by K6UK »

Thanks for the reply.

I think I need to clarify: What I had heard is that if you program the hornring to sound the airhorn it will still make a siren sound if the horn is tapped (versus pushed and held), even if the siren buttons have been disabled.

So I am seeking confirmation of this info - or, hopefully, to find out it's not true!

Thanks,

-Mike
eboe

Post by eboe »

ok, i think i understand what you're asking now. we'll see...

the way my smart-siren works is when i first turn the car on, the smart-siren goes through it's little boot-up process. the VERY FIRST time you hit the air-horn button, you will get about one second of a BOOOP tone followed by the air-horn sound (couldn't think of a way to spell the air-horn sound :-? ). it doesn't really sound like a siren, just a steady tone, but i guess technically it is a "tone" so yeah. after that, it's all air-horn. until you shut the car off and turn it back on. then you get the BOOOP again on the first press.

oh and it doesn't seem to matter whether you tap it or hold it. you're still gonna get the BOOOP. if i were to boot up the smart-siren and just tap the air-horn button i'd get nothing but BOOOP. i have to hold it down to let it pass through that and get to the air-horn sound.

is that what you were asking?
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
K6UK

Post by K6UK »

Thank You!

That definately answers my question!
Thanks for the info - I can proceed without worry.

-Mike
unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

Post by unlisted »

My SS does the same, but it does not sound like a siren tone. I've been told what it is, but I forget.. something to do with the tones starting up.

It just sounds like a higher pitched AH tone.
-unlisted
DaBigBR

Post by DaBigBR »

I gotta ask, and I don't intend to offend anybody...

Why buy a $700 siren system (that may be $250 used, but still...) if all you need out of it is fairly limited lighting and an airhorn?
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

DaBigBR wrote:I gotta ask, and I don't intend to offend anybody...

Why buy a $700 siren system (that may be $250 used, but still...) if all you need out of it is fairly limited lighting and an airhorn?

Well for me it was quite simple.

I purchase it, submit the bill to my employer, and they pay me for it! (they also paid for a "company" to install it) 8)
-unlisted
K6UK

Post by K6UK »

Well, for me it's because:

1. I have a car with very limited mounting options (4runner)
2. I need to control several devices... so the aux relays are my main concern.
3. I am still single... thus still date... so presto it doesn't look like a firetruck on a date night - just unplug it and stash it in the glove box.
4. I found a great price on a New in Box one.
Conundrum

Post by Conundrum »

DaBigBR wrote:I gotta ask, and I don't intend to offend anybody...

you can find them cheaper, but anywho, the reason I chose it was because it costs just as much (maybe a tad more) as buying an airhorn, and a good lighting control unit, especialy one that is remote. plus it looks nice.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

K6UK wrote:3. I am still single... thus still date... so presto it doesn't look like a firetruck on a date night - just unplug it and stash it in the glove box.
Wrong way to do things. Wack it out. If the girl crawls in, grimaces, and says "wtf?" then tell her to get back out. If she gets in, says cool, and starts playing with the lights, you know you have a keeper.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

tvsjr wrote:
K6UK wrote:3. I am still single... thus still date... so presto it doesn't look like a firetruck on a date night - just unplug it and stash it in the glove box.
Wrong way to do things. Wack it out. If the girl crawls in, grimaces, and says "wtf?" then tell her to get back out. If she gets in, says cool, and starts playing with the lights, you know you have a keeper.

:lol:

But oh so true...

Oh yes, to the original question, here is some helpful info!

http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/install/255278.pdf
Page # 10. (siren disable)

If not there, it'll be here (somewhere)
http://www.fedsig.com/tech_support/inst ... SmartSiren
Or here... (somewhere)
http://www.fedsig.com/tech_support/inst ... SS2000-LMS
-unlisted
K6UK

Post by K6UK »

Thanks for the help everyone!

On the siren... and the dating tips!

-Mike