2006 E-350 Truck

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pozy

2006 E-350 Truck

Post by Pozy »

I have a 2006 E-350 Truck and I’m looking to tap in a wire lead, so when the truck gets shifted into park a neg ground is set off to trigger a relay. Does anyone know were I can locate that wire or circuit at on that style of truck. Thanks, Richard
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q108.pdf

Check out page 3 and 4. I suspect you'll want the PARK output line. It is indeed a low-side driver, probably good for 250mA or so.
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

tvsjr wrote:https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q108.pdf

Check out page 3 and 4. I suspect you'll want the PARK output line. It is indeed a low-side driver, probably good for 250mA or so.
Any idea if this is the same for the 2004 model year?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

spareparts wrote:

Quite likely. Take a look, see if the lines are there.
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

tvsjr wrote:
spareparts wrote:

Quite likely. Take a look, see if the lines are there.
Will do - I am adding amber bars to a truck & want to make sure they automatically switch off when the vehicle starts to move.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

You want to auto turn off AMBER lights when the trucks moves?
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

apco25 wrote:You want to auto turn off AMBER lights when the trucks moves?
Yes, vehicle is for roadside telecom equipment support (CEV & pedestal ) No reason to have the lights on when moving, only an an anti-collision system when on the shoulder.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Well ok then. I guess that makes sense.

I think of several moving uses for lights on that type of utility vehicle, moving slowly along the road side trying to locate a pole # or box, backing up along same road, driving along the shoulder... all the normal things utility vehicles do as part of the their job.

What's the truck supposed to do to warn motorist when he's going to pull off the road way?

If he's going to get hit there's just as much chance then as when sitting on the shoulder parked.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I'm with apco25. Train your people, don't try to kill it when the vehicle isn't in park. If you want, mount a big, flashing red light on the dash (think pump-gear light) to indicate when the blinkies are on. Or use a switch box that has an activity tone (Cencom, etc.)
60A
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, XPR7550, APX6000

Post by 60A »

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'm with APCO also. I used to work for a city street department and drove a bucket truck a decent portion of the time. You never know when you may need those lights.

As suggested maybe you could wire a light to come on when the vehicle was in drive and the lights are on. Our dump trucks had a dash light that said "Body Up" so some moron wouldn't drive through a door way with their bed up. See picture of barn below... notice the two different colors of siding and guess what happened :)

spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

Advise well taken - Might be better to make this an HR & training issue, rather then trying to idiot proof the install.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

spareparts wrote:Advise well taken - Might be better to make this an HR & training issue, rather then trying to idiot proof the install.
I'd also suggest that there are times when you want the drivers to be able to run the amber all the time... I'm thinking after some form of natural disaster. Clearly they shouldn't be trying to run code with their amber blinkies, but, after the tornado/hurricane/whatever, there may be distinct advantages to simply turning the ambers on and leaving them that way.

Even if they accidentally leave the lights on, they're not likely to get harassed too much (maybe a cop will ask them if they know their lights are on). But, it's not like they've got red/blues to leave running.

We've all made that mistake (damn, why does the traffic keep pulling over... oh, whoops). :P
irsa

Post by irsa »

A large illuminated switch mounted high on the dash, near/above the stereo is good, is the way to go. I did this on my dealership's breakdown van a few years ago, amber for the rotators and green for the rear work light. No missing them even in broad day light. Never left the lights on by mistake, unlike most other guys.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”