rear work lights question

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kg4ere

rear work lights question

Post by kg4ere »

///
Last edited by kg4ere on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Personally, my "auxiliary" backup lights are simply on their own switch with no connection to the reverse light circuits. There are times when I want to back up without turning on all that light (4 Whelen 600-series halogens), and there are times when I want to use them as work lights. Hitting an extra switch isn't a big deal.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

i have the same thing you have tvsjr, couple of big ol' floods on the back for backin up into hitches and the like...but what i think he is asking, is how he can do that with his stock lighters...What i did in a similar application was to simply go, put an auxillary power source into the line for the backup lights, that comes off the gearshift box, put a diode on the line so that when the vehicle shifts in to R (and the offchance that the switch is on) it prevents backfeed, causing nastiness...the diode prevents backfeed (make sure it can support the lights you will be having on), the aux power line just pushes power out to the lights when the R switch is not engaged, lighting up your lights. Depending on your vehicle, this can be done with 1 switch, 2 pieces of wire, a power source, and a diode.

the same can be nicely done with a small diode, an 87a relay, and 5 minutes of your time if you want to do it robustly...or if you will be running a larger light source at the same time. The 87a will allow you to engage the backuplights at the same time of the switch being on, so you can run a LOT of lights with out cookin anything too important.

PM me for details.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”