2006 Ford Super duty Hands Free Siren Pick off Point

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

2006 Ford Super duty Hands Free Siren Pick off Point

Post by KitN1MCC »

i have a Whelen Hf295 AND IT is in a 2006 Super Duty Were should i pick off for the Hand free wire i found the Ring it self but i need a point after the Relay and for the life of me i can not find the Horns even
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Re: 2006 Ford Super duty Hands Free Siren Pick off Point

Post by spareparts »

KitN1MCC wrote:i have a Whelen Hf295 AND IT is in a 2006 Super Duty Were should i pick off for the Hand free wire i found the Ring it self but i need a point after the Relay and for the life of me i can not find the Horns even
tvsjr mentioned this a while back: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q108.pdf It might be of help. BTW, The document root is https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Unfortunately, you can't pick it off at the steering column - they multiplex things onto one wire... activating your cruise control will turn your siren on.

The best place to grab it is either at the horns (should be below the right headlight if memory serves - bear in mind you're dealing with real power there) or the control for the horn relay in the underhood fuse box.

I gave up and am installing a dual-footswitch panel - one for HF, one for airhorns.
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

yeah i noticed that that Horn ring is Mulit Plexed

I think i am just going to go to the Horn and tap off there make it easyer thats what i did on my Truck (i have a Chevy horn not burried) i may follow the harness back to the fire wall
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

i just noticed that the power at the horn it self is Swiching Negative to Potive and if i hook the siren up direct it wil always be on

can i install a relay with out messing up the truck
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yep... you're supposed to use a horn transfer relay in all installations, never wire directly. Take a look at the installation manual for any of the 295HFS or Cencom products for a demonstration.
EVModules
was EVConcepts

Post by EVModules »

KitN1MCC wrote:i just noticed that the power at the horn it self is Swiching Negative to Potive and if i hook the siren up direct it wil always be on

can i install a relay with out messing up the truck
I just noticed this topic,

You CAN get your horn ring connections in the steering column. The wire Tvsjr was refering to as being "multiplexed" is the incorrect wire for this is actually the general ground wire for the steering wheel assembly. There were installs done using this wire and caused the very symtoms described. The correct wire will show positive in the rest state and when the horn ring is pressed, it will show the negative state. To verify, locate the horn relay and remove it. The correct wire will show nothing in the rest state and show negative when the horn is pressed.

Again, it is NOT multiplexed. It's been done many times. My wiring reference is at the shop but it is a smaller sized wire, just can't remember the color but try looking for dark blue or green to start with but I could be wrong so use the testing methods above.

Sean
Sean Barr
EVConcepts
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Sean-

If you could look that wire color up on Monday, I'd appreciate it. I've never had luck in finding anything at the column that would work, despite multiple attempts laying in the floor and looking through the service DVD.
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

yes i did find that Blue wire out of the Column (trusty old Logic Probe)

my Question is can i Hook the Hf295 right up there like the Wireing Diagram shows in the Siren install Paper work

The biggest worry i had with going off the Ring is that the Wireing is in Yellow Loom (Air bag) i just dont anything Popping on me

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”