Truck bed mount

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mmckenna
What radios do you own?: AM/FM with 8 track.

Truck bed mount

Post by mmckenna »

I've got a new truck coming here at work, and I need to find a mount for a strobe light. I've seen what I am looking for on the road, but I can't seem to find them on the net.

I'm looking for a pole mount to hold a single strobe beacon (360 deg) mounted on the left side of the bed of the truck, on the bed rail, or on the tool box, and have the light stick up above the cab.

I know I can fabricate one myself, but if the price is right, I might buy. Other than that, I'm just looking for ideas and see what others have done.
Monitor142
What radios do you own?: MT500 w/ P25 trunking and AES

Post by Monitor142 »

Hey Mike:
Brian down here at Irvine. I'd look at your local truck supply that sells the Back-Rack guards and other associated work truck body equipment. They might have what your are looking for in a pre-fab mount.

Brian Chrisman
mmckenna

Post by mmckenna »

Hey Brian,

Matt up here at UCSC.

We just hired a new tech, a retired SBC guy, was with them for 30 years. Anyway, I've had a van for about 4 years now, and it makes more sense for him to have it. We've ordered a new small pickup (GMC Canyon) for Andy and I to use. We've got a mag mount strobe light, and we were going to throw in on the new truck. Wanted to do a permanent mount without going on the cab roof.

I have seen the Back Racks, but they are a little more than what I am looking for. We're just looking for a single pedestal type mount to bolt onto the bed, or tool box to get the light above the cab. I might just fabricate one myself, though.

We are going to throw an 800MHz MCS2000 in it, and probably a VHF rig.

Nice to know you hang out on here, too.
Monitor142
What radios do you own?: MT500 w/ P25 trunking and AES

Post by Monitor142 »

Hey Matt, not Mike (brain fart):
Sounds good. Maybe your sheet metal folks could put something together with some scrap square tubing??? Buy the guy some lunch for his labor : )

Good luck! VHF? What the, oh never mind, forgot about FD and local interop.

Take care.
Brian
mmckenna

Post by mmckenna »

Monitor142 wrote:
VHF? What the, oh never mind, forgot about FD and local interop.

Take care.
Brian
We are also thinking 2 meter band :) Whats the use of having all this gear if you can't have a little fun with it?

Our Fire Department and PD are all on VHF, not to mention just about everything else in this county.

Good point on the shop doing it. I think I might actually be able to cobble together a mount pretty easy. Just gotta talk the wife into letting me buy a new welder.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Ever thought about using something like a 3/4 or 1 inch pipe for a
support. Take a floor mount flange that the pipe screws into.
Bolt the flat flange mount to the bed of the truck, take a conduit
clamp on the pipe to the side of the bed rail for additional support.

Mount the light on a flat plate that bolts to the pipe flange at the
top of the pipe. Run the wires down the inside of the pipe.

Jim
mmckenna

Post by mmckenna »

Jim,

That is a good idea, and I was considering such a thing as a back up plan. I was actually in the hardware store the other day and was sort of piecing together such a set-up.

I'm trying to make it look as professional looking as I can, and I think I can do that with the pipe mount set up you mentioned. But, there is still the part of me that fears the day that anything I do gets labeled as "hamsexy".

I've got a conduit bender that will do 1/2 IMC, so I can put a bend or two in it to match the angles on the side of the cab. Maybe a coat of black paint.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”