Hide a way in a Taurus

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Firecar96

Hide a way in a Taurus

Post by Firecar96 »

I am about to do an install in to a 2006 Taurus. My question is, because the head and tail lights are so BIG, should I put two strobe tubes in each housing? I want to know if it will look bad, or not light up very well if I just use one strobe tube per housing. I'am using 90 watt power supplies, so if I use two tubes per housing, I will use two power supplies.

I saw a newer Ford expedition that had only one strobe tube per headlight, and it didnt really light up that well, because the headlight was so big. Let me know what you guys think. This is the first taurus I have ever done, so I could use a little help.
Thanks
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Strobes in headlights suck universally, I don't care how much power you throw at them. They're certainly never going to do any better than the ~50watt halogen in the middle.

If you're stuck on strobes, look at turn signals and fog lights (I'm not familiar with the Taurus, so you're on your own there). Otherwise, consider the cost of tubes, power supplies, cabling, and install, vs. some LEDs. A pair of LIN3s in the grille, a pair at 45deg. angles on the pushbumper, and possibly a pair pointing straight to the sides either on the pushbumper or the sides will be orders of magnitude more effective than HAW strobes and cost the same, if not less, to buy and install. Installing strobes is a pain in the ass... I dislike doing them.
Firecar96

Post by Firecar96 »

Yea the vehicle owner is pretty set on strobes. I hate doing them too, but I couldnt convince him otherwise.

I also want to know, if I do put two in each light if it will over heat and melt the light housing.
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

have you advised them of wig-wags? they'll work much better in the headlights, and you could throw a strobe tube in with each turn light. Also, for the rear, a strobe in the reverse light is fairly adequate. you could also consider the little area next to the reverse light and below the brake for the other strobe.
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

LuiePL wrote:have you advised them of wig-wags? they'll work much better in the headlights, and you could throw a strobe tube in with each turn light. Also, for the rear, a strobe in the reverse light is fairly adequate. you could also consider the little area next to the reverse light and below the brake for the other strobe.

I know nothing about this guys customer, so this is not directly related... Some states would not allow wigwags on a POV that would allow strobes.

NC had a rule against "electronially modulated headlights", so I know a guy who hooked up a flasher to some 100w KC hilighters to be a smart a$$ :lol: He said they are not "headlights", so he was willing to fight the ticket. He was also a little on the crazy side 8)
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

That's very true, I was thinking more along the lines of a municipality, not a POV, so I'm not sure how it factors in.
High_order1

Post by High_order1 »

The problem I see is dwell time... You want well defined pulses of light. With two tubes non-synchronized, I think they would overlap to the point that they would overdrive the stop lamps, and become indistinct.

A lot of why hideaways don't look good, is because they are improperly installed. Newer headlamp assemblies rely more and more on lenses and focusing. On an older car, as long as you were towards the center of the reflector, you got good pulses. Now, if you don't put some thought into it, all you get is the pulse from the tube, with no help from any of the rear reflective surfaces...

-Shawn
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Ive done a few , The strobe tube if done correctly in the turn signal throws alot of light to the side at a 45 degree angle and to the front. . The trick is to get the strobe tube in just under the amber bulb. Take the headlight assembly out and find the spot . Then use a 1 1/4" hole saw to get though the outer plastic, Then when you get to the actual reflector use a 1" hole saw. The tube will sit just under the bulb and follow the angle of the reflector.

The bigger pain is where to get a hole through the firewall.
Firecar96

Post by Firecar96 »

Yea, I was going to ask if anyone new a good place to run wires through the fire wall?

Also after I drill through the outer plastic of the headlight, then through the inner plastic. Will the headlight still be water tight, or will I have to seal the lower plastic somehow? If so, how would I do that? It a pretty big hole to seal.
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

I take a 1 1/4 plastic hole plug and drill out the center with a 5/16 bit run the wires through the small hole and then silicone the big hole plug in place. . It seems to work fine.

Firewall hole. its a pain but look under the area behind the brake pedal there is a flat spot up and to the right i believe that you can use. Double check before drilling
Firecar96

Post by Firecar96 »

Now will a Whelen flange mount strobe tube fit through a 1 1/4 inch hole?

I wasnt sure if it would fit because of the how wide the flange is. With the holes placed on those kinda wing things, it makes it really wide.
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

a flange will not fit. I used a push in
Firecar96

Post by Firecar96 »

I measured the tube to see what size hole I would have to cut to get the flange base strobe tube through, and it will need a hole 1 3/4 inches. Any idea where I could get a hole plug at least 2 inches in diameter? I
am going to need one that big to cover the hole.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”