Motorola Radio for a 1971 Police Trike

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

larryk
New User

Motorola Radio for a 1971 Police Trike

Post by larryk »

We are in the process of restoring a 1971 Sheriff's 3-wheeled motorcycle. Having a hard time finding the Motorola radio that was used on it. It was a one piece radio? Anyone know anything about this radio model? Are they readily available? We got a hold of an old Motorola three-piece (pictures available), but it doesn't work for the trike. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
txshooter

Re: Motorola Radio for a 1971 Police Trike

Post by txshooter »

Are you just trying to make this look good for display? If so, you can just mount one of the old school control heads and a speaker up front and even adapt the control head with a battery and a LED so it looks as if it powers up.

I am not sure what radio would have likely been on that trike......a little before my time in the radio world.

Maybe a Mitrek?
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

In 1971 it would have been a Motorola Dispatcher series. It had HT200 boards and an amp to get 10-15 watts (VHF)
The control head would look like a MCR100. Black speaker with a silver grille. The mike was black with a white grille. Kinda hard to find these days. We have a 1967 HD Servicar in our museum it has a MCR100 on it. If you want to make a dummy look-a-like some of the motorola power voice amplified speakers would work (Ive seen them on eBay), or a Mocom 70 speaker painted black and paint the grille silver would look very good. The Motorola raised lettering on the speaker was painted white. The MCR100 had a red light on top for a TX light.
Hope that helps

Fowler
KC5AEE
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
LVGUY
What radios do you own?: Saber,HT200,HT220

Post by LVGUY »

Here is a picture of the setup I have seen on the Harley Davidson's from the 70's
I hope this is of some assistance.
Merry Christmas

Rest in Peace Monty Sisco you are not forgotten
Bat2way

Post by Bat2way »

It was more on the line of an "Industrial Dispatcher" model. Lots of info on the search engines about it and motorcycle use.
radioinst
New User

Post by radioinst »

I have an old motorola gray book, i'll look at it when i get home and see what it says. That was the mocom 70 / motrac / business dispatcher era.
resqroz
New User

Post by resqroz »

A motorcycle in the late 60's early 70's would have had an industrial dispatcher radio such as a T33BAT. It had a weatherproof control head built into a speaker housing. I had one in a jeep that I owned in the early 70's.
Here is what it looked like.
http://www.mbay.net/~wb6nvh/CHPcycle.htm

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”