Mounting grill lights

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kens

Mounting grill lights

Post by kens »

I have recently seen 2 vehicles with led's which were glued to the front grill. One was clearly done using beads of silicone and the other had no visible adhesive. The lights were small like TIR 3's. Is this now a common practice? I would have some reservations about doing that instead of using brackets.
Thanks to all.
Ken
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Mounting grill lights

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Question which comes to mind is were these whackers or legit users?

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

As Tom stated were these on department vehicles.. TIR lights weigh next to nothing. Ive mounted them on the outside of the grille on a charger. All it takes is the supplied screws and some washers on the back of the grille. The silicone was probably to keep them from vibrating.
kens

Post by kens »

These were on local fire and law enforcement vehicles. One was done by a professional shop and the other by a county facility.
Ken
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

I've been in the upfitting business for 12 yrs. I have seen what some" professional " shops call good work.. Im sure there had to be some hardware holding them on somehow. 2 sided carpet tape wont hold...LOL
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

At our shop what we do in the case of open grill mounting is take some wood or metal, cut to the size of the light, and painted black and use the nut and bolts that come with the unit, and basically sandwich the grill between the backer and light.
The Comish

Post by The Comish »

We have the SoundOff Ghost Lights Glued into the grills of our Chevy Impala's as there was no way to secure them with any type of fastner. The installers used "Black" glue and a hot glue gun, formed the bead around the light head and set them in. They have never even moved and have been in the grill for just about a year now, car washes do not bother them, and so far it has been an OK solution. Since the grill is a plastic/rubber combination that hot adhesive worked great and you can hardly tell because the glue was applied primarily to the back side of the grill out of one's view without taking the grill out. And as indicated in the post these lights weigh nothing so I do not think it will ever be a problem.
thomsoningreen
New User
What radios do you own?: I use all of Motorola's Lines.

Post by thomsoningreen »

techtonics wrote:At our shop what we do in the case of open grill mounting is take some wood or metal, cut to the size of the light, and painted black and use the nut and bolts that come with the unit, and basically sandwich the grill between the backer and light.
Sound Off Signal has the same brakets for their verison of the tier 3 lights. It works great and there are many other mounting brakets as well. It just depends on the vehicle and where it's mounted.
Network Communications Integrator (NC)
To key or not to key, that depends on the traffic.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”