Federal Signal SS2000 Diagram for School

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Zach489
Banned

Federal Signal SS2000 Diagram for School

Post by Zach489 »

Hello,

I am a teacher at a highschool for our communications class. We have two classes during the day and two classes during the late afternoon. Within the next month or so I wanted to touch on sirens and strobes and how they operate.

I've made several 'real life' diagrams in the past on a large display board of blinker/headlight/breaklight circuits, horns, etc and I thought it would be interesting for the class to see how simple a siren is operated. I hope to do the same display 'diagram' for the siren as I did in the other lesson plans in the past. I have one siren already hooked up in the class. It's a galls MS3000. Very basic configuration. Now, I want to beef it up a notch and show them a more complicated setup so they can learn what's currently out there. I really don't know anything about the SS2000 besides a few little details here and there. So I have a few questions. My plan is to make one with a stand-alone siren (amp, control head, etc.) and THEN upgrade from that to one with a few strobes. (I'll just use a few 1'' hideaway strobes to simulate a lightbar or something along that nature.)

1) I have the amp for it, but nothing else. No wires, no control head, etc. I'm going to buy the control head off of ebay, and try my best to get the cables. Those all seem pretty self explanatory. BUT I noticed this little square box on the back with a lot of pins and above it, it says "SIREN". What connects to this?

2) "+ BATT". This looks like a little port to plug something in. Obviously this is the port to supply power but it looks like a special plug is needed. What type of plug?

3) For the "LIGHTS 1, 2, 3" switch - On the back I see the port that goes in there but it looks like another special adapter has to plug in there to hold the wires down. If so, what part is that?

If anyone can help me with these questions I really appreciate it. I'm no expert!

Thank you.
Zach489
Banned

Re: Federal Signal SS2000 Diagram for School

Post by Zach489 »

Oh, also, am I able to use the basic control head on an SS2000SM? Or does the SS2000 control head have to be the exact same as the amp?
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

Here is a ton of info on the ss2000sm hopefully this will answer your questions.
http://www.fedsig.com/tech_support/inst ... SmartSiren
rwo978
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by rwo978 »

Fro a basic setup, you need the control head, the amp, the phone style cord to connect the control to the amp, and the 12 pin white plug. The 12 pin incdues wires like and ignition power wire and ground to turn the amp on, speaker wires, and wiring for additional functions like siren park kill, horn ring, and radio rebroadcast (playing the mobile radio thru the siren speaker, like a pa).

All the aux power connections (for lights) go to the terminals 1-3 and aux outputs a-e. The +batt, this is the hole that you run the larger wire thru to power all the lights, like an 8 ga wire. The whole unit gets power from this wire, but the ignition wire turns the unit on when the car is turned on. Run the large wire thru the hole and connect to the terminal about 2 inches in. There should be a metal strip with a square shaped hole and a flat blade set screw. push the wire into the hole and tighten the screw to make a connection.

As to the 2 wiring plugs you need, I can get you those. I have the parts to make them. PM me if you're interested.
Ryan
unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

Post by unlisted »

Just be wary of incomplete setup's on ebay- there is a lot of GE ss2000's being sold on there every now and than.

And without a GE radio, and the special option cables, you will have a nice paperweight. (and they do not work with a normal control head)

Just fyi/
-unlisted
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

unlisted wrote:Just be wary of incomplete setup's on ebay- there is a lot of GE ss2000's being sold on there every now and than.

And without a GE radio, and the special option cables, you will have a nice paperweight. (and they do not work with a normal control head)

Just fyi/
If you can find the adapter to go from DB9 - RJ45 from FS, the GE ss2000's will work with the normal control head.

I had one at one time, but can't find it in all of the stuff around here. But when I do, I hope to work out the pinout and any other electronics involved.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”