syntor xx9000 pa/siren issues

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

stubes
New User

syntor xx9000 pa/siren issues

Post by stubes »

I am having issues with the syntor i have hooked up in my restored police unit.
radio is the syntor with the 9000 radio head that has the pa/siren option. its still programmed from where i bought it from and the radio turns on and works but does not transmit or receive. its just for show.

problem i am getting is my siren/pa is playing at a very low volume. i tried another speaker and got the same result.
tried a few other of the same 9000 pa amp boxes but can't even turn the siren/pa function on from my head unit with those boxes.

any suggestions?

if i need a new box, does it need programmed to my head unit/radio?
if so any people in the western pa area that can do that?

I am a complete newbie when it comes to these radios!
thanks
twowaytekk

Re: syntor xx9000 pa/siren issues

Post by twowaytekk »

I'm assuming the control head was programmed for the siren/PA. You wil have a button on the control head programmed for "siren," "External Radio," and "Public Address." Press the external radio button and the siren button, to repeat the radio traffic to the external siren/PA. You can also control the volume of the radio rebroadcast/PA by using the volume rocker.

Hope this helps

Mark
stubes
New User

Post by stubes »

yes it has been programmed for the pa/siren.
this was a setup out of an emergency vehicle.
tried pressing the ext radio button as you advised but nothing happens.

siren works but plays at a very low tone-pa can hardly be heard.
tried another speaker got the same result.
tried other pa boxes on my setup and they won't work anything.
twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

It sounds like the siren driver is working. When you activate the siren you should be able to hear faint siren tones from the amp, without any speaker hooked up to the speaker leads. Check the speaker leads for a disconnect. You might also try a new siren/PA cable. They are cheap on the used market. Model numbers on what you have would be helpful.

Mark
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Remember as well that the same Siren/PA amp (HLN1185) may be setup for 60W, 100W, or 135W depending on how what is connected to the connector on what pins, and whether there is a resistor inside.

If you want some spares, send me a PM before I junk them.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

SlimBob wrote:Remember as well that the same Siren/PA amp (HLN1185) may be setup for 60W, 100W, or 135W depending on how what is connected to the connector on what pins, and whether there is a resistor inside.

If you want some spares, send me a PM before I junk them.

Hey slimbob, any chance you have a manual for the HLN1185? Looking for one or a PDF of it.

Second statement, is the red wire from the PA amp connected to a +12 volt source? I would think you would
get an error on the control head if it wasn't. But this is the power feed for the output amp feeding the speaker.

Jim
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Sounds like the power for the Siren AMP is not hooked up as Jim202 stated. If it doesn't have power on the Siren amp you will NOT get an error. You will hear very low audio coming out of the speaker because the sounds are not being amplified. If you do have power hooked up check to make sure there isn't an open in the power wire going into the siren amp and make sure your ground for the siren cable is also good.

Jason
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Let me check and see. I know I have a siren manual _somewhere_ that I scanned.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Haven't found it yet, still looking...
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

haven't found the PDF, but I have the manual in front of me.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”