2011 Caprice

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

motorola_otaku

2011 Caprice

Post by motorola_otaku »

Has anyone done one of these yet? The 9C3 was supposed to have started shipping in April or May.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: 2011 Caprice

Post by FireCpt809 »

My shop is getting a GM demo car to build in about the first week of August for the Fleet managers show in St. Louis.
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

City of Portland apparently is getting them "by end of summer".

I would be interested in getting confirmation that if sales of the Caprice PPV is good, they will produce the car at Oshawa Assembly, making the first time a Holden design will be built in North America.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Are you going to be there? I'll be there checking it out!!!
FireCpt809 wrote:My shop is getting a GM demo car to build in about the first week of August for the Fleet managers show in St. Louis.
I have heard GM has been less than cooperative with after market manufactures in giving them details so they can produce equipment for it. And WTH are they doing leaving the shift on the floor. Yeah lets move it up and over and little bit. Thumbs down there.

Jason
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

I personally wont be there my Company I work for Part time will have a booth
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Cars today are so computer controlled that the shifter is largely obsolete. And, while it'd be a throwback to the 1996 Caprice, a shifter on the steering wheel would clear up space for equipment.

Then again, steering wheel shifters are "vintage", and this car is "all new".
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Truly a bad design decision on GM's part. Obviously they know the demand for column shifters and vacated console space exists or they wouldn't keep producing 9C1/9C3 Impalas and PPV Tahoes that way. I'm sure at some level it was largely motivated by the cost to retool the production line.

Found a video of a working LAPD install here: http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/05/ ... price-ppv/
O3 HHCH on an APX (or XTL) was their solution for the radio, with an integrated touchscreen display for the MDT and emergency equipment. No mention of who the vendor is. The antennas appear to be mounted to the lightbar frame.. no idea what that's all about. I know GM said the overhead air bags were only in the front so you'd think that would make it easier to pop antenna holes in the back half of the roof.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

motorola_otaku wrote:Truly a bad design decision on GM's part. Obviously they know the demand for column shifters and vacated console space exists or they wouldn't keep producing 9C1/9C3 Impalas and PPV Tahoes that way. I'm sure at some level it was largely motivated by the cost to retool the production line.

Found a video of a working LAPD install here: http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/05/ ... price-ppv/
O3 HHCH on an APX (or XTL) was their solution for the radio, with an integrated touchscreen display for the MDT and emergency equipment. No mention of who the vendor is. The antennas appear to be mounted to the lightbar frame.. no idea what that's all about. I know GM said the overhead air bags were only in the front so you'd think that would make it easier to pop antenna holes in the back half of the roof.

Are you aware that LAPD used the 9C3 Detective package for that install? The 9C1's shifter is much more convenient (but not perfect) Check out this jottodesk: http://www.gojotto.com/media/catalog/pr ... _2_web.jpg
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I was at the PFE in St Louis back in August. The big 3 where there pitching and showing off their cars. Chevy said they have no plans on moving the shifter to the column. A huge mistake if you ask me.

Ford currently owns 70-80 percent of the marked police market. They are the ones that could potentionally lose big. Each manufacturer was given 90 minutes for a presentation and Ford was the only one that chose to spend their entire time on the their police vehicle. I really enjoyed Chevy pitching their Volt and Dodge telling us all about their service options....NOT.

Chevy and Dodge had a great opportunity to steal the market and apparently they missed the memo on it.

Ford will continue to own the market...and trust me, I am by no means a Ford guy.

Jason
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

That's sad because they've also asked for that input and just denied it existed. I personally threw a few ideas into the hat when I was talking with some of the electronics engineers at a plant. Oh well.

So how many years left does Ford have before they have to redesign the Police Interceptor to keep up with the laws on body changes?
Metro12
New User

Post by Metro12 »

While the column shifter isn't a total deal breaker, it was stupid on GMs part not to just move it to the dash, and factor in the $200 cost in the vehicle. They are surely loosing sales over the shifter placement.
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

Metro12 wrote:While the column shifter isn't a total deal breaker, it was stupid on GMs part not to just move it to the dash, and factor in the $200 cost in the vehicle. They are surely loosing sales over the shifter placement.
The cost of changing the engineering and moving the shifter would be more than $200 a car. GM would have to have the car crash certified and other expenses that plan into the cost. As of right now reps from GM say it depends on sales of the car if they do decide to make that change.
KE7JFF

Post by KE7JFF »

Per my knowledge of US DOT vehicle safety regulations, you don't need to redo crash testing if you change the shifter. BUT if you change the seat configuration (like put in bench seats) or a different airbag configuration. Now, I know GM did this more than Chrysler or Ford, but when they had a different airbag module if you had the floor shifter or column shifter. It could be in the Caprice PPV that those Australians at Holden when this route.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

So far I've seen more of these on Ebay than in actual patrol service. Are agencies buying them then deciding they don't like them for some reason?
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I am not aware of any local agencies in my area getting them. The floor shift really killed it for a lot of people I think.

Jason
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

My shop manufactures consoles and is in the process of designing a computer and console mount for the 2012 Caprice for a large state police department that is going to be needing 500+ of the Caprice console. They are out there its just taking a while for them to get out there with the new equipment that is designed for them.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I talked with some knowledgable people today and was told the production of the Caprice has been temporarily suspended due to lack of sales. There are too many collecting dust in port.

I was also told one upfitter took the column shifter from an Impala and was able to retro it to a Caprice and they were going to offer this as a option in the aftermarket but GM said oh no you don't.

Jason
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

Hint Hint GM is working on an all new full size car that will be their "next" police offering....the Holden is a temporary way back into a market they never should have left....stay tuned
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

KE7JFF wrote:City of Portland apparently is getting them "by end of summer".

I would be interested in getting confirmation that if sales of the Caprice PPV is good, they will produce the car at Oshawa Assembly, making the first time a Holden design will be built in North America.
The latest Camaro which is built in Canada was designed in Australia by Holden. A few years ago, GM flew Little "E" to Australia to test drive the car, before manufacturing started in Canada. GARY N4KVE
KE7JFF

Post by KE7JFF »

N4KVE wrote:

The latest Camaro which is built in Canada was designed in Australia by Holden. A few years ago, GM flew Little "E" to Australia to test drive the car, before manufacturing started in Canada. GARY N4KVE
The Camaro is not a Holden design...
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

KE7JFF wrote:
N4KVE wrote:

The Camaro is not a Holden design...
Yes, it is. The Camaro is now built on the GM Zeta platform, which was the Holden Commodore VE SS. Google up Holden Camaro. GARY N4KVE
KE7JFF

Post by KE7JFF »

N4KVE wrote: The Camaro is not a Holden design...
Yes, it is. The Camaro is now built on the GM Zeta platform, which was the Holden Commodore VE SS. Google up Holden Camaro. GARY N4KVE[/quote]

The Zeta platform is, but the Camaro was done as a GM Global Design, which Holden through its R&D team did the final part of the Camaro. A slight difference :P

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”