KVM Quandary

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

KVM Quandary

Post by NSPD »

I have an Aten CS-1708 USB KVM switch that I am attempting to share between multiple computers. The switch has 8 VGA inputs and outputs to a single VGA console and 2 USB ports for the keyboard and mouse. I am wanting to control three computers from this switch, a main computer running Windows 7 with 3 Monitors, a programming computer running Windows XP, and a Server running Windows Home Server. I am basically only wanting to use the monitor switching for the programming computer and the server to share a monitor, with the main computer's monitors being independent.

Everything I have read online suggests that a KVM should work without the monitor cable being attached, however, I am finding that this KVM needs the monitor cable plugged in to function at the computer end, not just the USB cable. This presents a problem because the console end only supports one analog monitor, and I need to use three monitors with DVI input for the main computer.

Anyone had a similar issue like this? I am wondering if I can plug the monitor into the VGA plug on the motherboard of the main computer to gain the KM functionality while still using the DVI outputs of the video card for the monitors.
Jake
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: KVM Quandary

Post by Wowbagger »

If you just want to share the keyboard and mouse, but not the displays, maybe Synergy will help? http://synergy-foss.org/
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Re: KVM Quandary

Post by NSPD »

Thanks for the reply!

I have looked at synergy... it may work in a pinch, but I do really need to combine some of the displays. I am hoping that I can get it to work based on plugging the KVM cable into the motherboard of the main computer via VGA or DVI and running the actual monitors from the video card.
Jake

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”