Micro SD card problem

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Micro SD card problem

Post by SteveC0625 »

I've got a 4GB micro SD card by PNY. I used it recently to update my Garmin GPS and somehow, the darned thing got re-partitioned to a 64MB only by the Garmin software. There's a whole bunch of space on the disk that I can not access. I tried using the Disk Management tools in Win 7 to manipulate the partition, but all of those functions are grayed-out and unusable.

All of the help I find with a google search just points me back at the Disk Management tools.

Can anyone offer a better solution? I'd hate to write off this card.

Thanks in advance.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Micro SD card problem

Post by Wowbagger »

If you have a Linux Live CD, boot from it, and use the dd command to wipe the partition table.

(if you need detailed instructions on how to do this, DON'T: there's a reason people refer to 'dd' as 'destroy disk').
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Post by tdats »

I found on PNY's website a low level format utility, but it appears to be for something else. They might have some sort of utility on their website somewhere, but I am not finding one. I would think the disk managment utilities within windows would normally be able to take care of it.

Is there any sort of option when the card is in your GPS to format the card there? Maybe it can get back the lost space? It's a long shot though.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I spent more time searching about the net and finally found exactly the right tools in a program called MiniTool Partion Wizard Home Edition. It was a free download off CNet. It repaired the card almost instantly. (Whew!)

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”