MW-520 Random Shutdowns

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fchrist16
What radios do you own?: Desktrac, XTL/XTS's & XPR's

MW-520 Random Shutdowns

Post by fchrist16 »

After about 5 months of not using my MW-520, I had to fire it up again to reprogram a radio. I get about 5 minutes into work and the MW-520 randomly shuts down. Any ideas as to what's up? It's a Win98/DOS dual boot machine and I'm going only into DOS, I haven't tried going into Win98 yet in about 5 months now either.

EDIT: Same thing happens in Win98 as well...

Regards,

-Frank C.
Jim202

Re: MW-520 Random Shutdowns

Post by Jim202 »

fchrist16 wrote:After about 5 months of not using my MW-520, I had to fire it up again to reprogram a radio. I get about 5 minutes into work and the MW-520 randomly shuts down. Any ideas as to what's up? It's a Win98/DOS dual boot machine and I'm going only into DOS, I haven't tried going into Win98 yet in about 5 months now either.

EDIT: Same thing happens in Win98 as well...

Regards,

-Frank C.

My bet is your loosing power to the processor.

Have you checked the power feed for the correct voltage?

Have seen some computers where the internal backup power battery was about stone dead. When you power up the box, it lasts for a short while and the power supply system crashes and can't sustain the operation. The hard drive pulls too much power trying to do it's thing and the whole computer just shuts off.

I would start with the battery and see what condition it's it.

Jim
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Is it heating up? Possibly not after 5 minutes, but you never know. If the machine is full of dust or anything else that makes for a nice cozy blanket for the proc and other components to get nice and hot and shut down from the thermal overload.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
fchrist16
What radios do you own?: Desktrac, XTL/XTS's & XPR's

Post by fchrist16 »

Jim,

Power is correct at/around 14 volts, it's only drawing about 2A when powering on though. The dust isn't an issue either. I'll have to order new backup batteries as they aren't readily available at the local "shack".

Regards,

-Frank C.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”