CF-29

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

CF-29

Post by giguchan »

All,
Can anyone tell me if the factory startup disks for the CF29 tuff book are all the same ? or are they machine specific? I was given one with no disks... I would like to know if I can use the startup disks from my old one to get the new one up and running.... I also have a purchased copy of XP I could throw on it and be done with it.. I am worried that that ORIG disks that came with it might have Panasonic specific stuff on it that the LT would need.
thanks.
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
Jim202

Re: CF-29

Post by Jim202 »

giguchan wrote:All,
Can anyone tell me if the factory startup disks for the CF29 tuff book are all the same ? or are they machine specific? I was given one with no disks... I would like to know if I can use the startup disks from my old one to get the new one up and running.... I also have a purchased copy of XP I could throw on it and be done with it.. I am worried that that ORIG disks that came with it might have Panasonic specific stuff on it that the LT would need.
thanks.

There are like 3 different versions of the CF29.

Have you tried to download the drivers off the Panasonic web site? That way you can get the drivers you need to match your model number. Last time I looked they were there, but that was a couple of years ago.

Jim
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hey Jim,
3 diff versions?
I had no idea.... The one in question I'm pretty sure has XP on it... but it's missing the Windows\system32\config\system file... I'll head over and see.... thanks.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

giguchan wrote:Hey Jim,
3 diff versions?
I had no idea.... The one in question I'm pretty sure has XP on it... but it's missing the Windows\system32\config\system file... I'll head over and see.... thanks.

You might have to install or repair Windows on the computer. The tag on the bottom of the computer has the ID for Windows that you can use for when it asks you to enter the ID. You just need a Windows XP CD to do the install again if it comes to that. I would suggest that you copy down the Windows ID in case the tag gets damaged.

The older versions of the CF29 only had one USB connection on the side. The newer ones had an additional USB port on the rear behind the pull down panel that goes across the whole back.

Unless the CD you have is a newer one, you will also need to find a web site that you can download the Windows service pack 3 from (SP3). Then you will also need to download Internet Explorer 8. Kind of a pain, but that's what Microsoft puts you through now to stay with XP. Then once you get it running and install the drivers, you can make an Internet connection. There are over 100 updates that the computer will download and need to install before your ready to be able to run.

It is time consuming, but just work through it.

Jim
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Jim,
Get this... the part of the Pano site that I need has been down for 2 days(I called them and that I what they told me) I did find a place where I could pop in the model numbers and get the specs of the machine.
I have 2 of these machines. One is up and running but the other isn't. since I can play with it... I am going to try to jam on Win 7. I am not confident that it will work but I am going to try.. They also gave me a number where for$35 I could order a start up disk and then put on XP if I absolutely have to.

This use to be my hotel/travel Laptop. It's just too slow now.. it's going to be my main programming machine and it's backup.

The new one I just received has the USB on the side
My original one I bought from that Toughbook refurb place in TX has the one on the side AND the rear

I totally forgot all about SP3.... I remember what a joy that was..
http://www.business.panasonic.com/compu ... -home.html

Thanks for all of your help
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”