Windows 7 Networking = Garbage

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

Windows 7 Networking = Garbage

Post by escomm »

First of all, let me just state that XP is superior to Windows 7 in just about every possible regard except having your wallpaper change every 5 minutes.

So I have a new Win 7 laptop, got it on my home network just fine when I got it, copied over some media for the trip to Dayton. Fiddled around with some network settings when I got to the airport in Vegas, for some reason even though I marked the network as public Windows 7 decided to go ahead and share my empty public folder.

Now I am back home and I cannot get my Win 7 laptop to connect to my network. Workgroup is successfully changed, and funny thing is the Win 7 laptop sees the network computers but says it can't access them due to permissions. Then my XP computer can see the Win 7 laptop just fine but will only allow me into the public folder. The drive and directories on the laptop are shared, and the XP computers see
the share, but XP says access is denied.

What's really %*#)ed is that the XP computers only see the Win 7 computer when the Home Folder is turned on. I should not need nor should I be using a Home Folder for 7 to XP networks. But turn off Home Folder and the Win 7 laptop can no longer even be seen by the XP box and the Win 7 laptop no longer sees the XP boxes.

Permissions on the Win 7 laptop are confirmed to allow read/write access to these "non-public" folders. I have made no changes to the XP box and should not have to as best I can tell. It worked before I fiddled with the Win 7 laptop.

Seriously, why the $*@)@ can't I just specify the work group name, share the folders I want shared and go home happy?

Windows 7 is garbage.

Also how do I make it STFU about MSIE 9? I told it I didn't want to download and not to inform me about the updates but MSIE 9 still shows up as a critical update. Seriously douchebags, you didn't get it right the first 8 times around, I'm not giving you any more chances.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Windows 7 Networking = Garbage

Post by escomm »

Oh yeah, went poking around again this morning with the network settings and found Win 7 had changed the computer's workgroup name back to WORKGROUP from my network name. I guess I could set the network up again with WORKGROUP as the name but #$(@ that. What is this garbage about changing settings without input or confirmation from the user? Motorola coders working at MS now?
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

One thing you can try is to map a network drive and force the authentication information. To connect to the Windows 7 PC from the XP machine, you would open My Computer and go to tools -> map network drive. Instead of typing \\server\share in the folder box, do \\IP OF SERVER\share. Click on "connect using a different username" in the map drive window and specify your username like this: 1.2.3.4\myname where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of the windows 7 pc and myname is the username you use to log in to the Windows 7 machine. Specify the password you use for that account and unless something is /really/ screwy it should let you connect.

Windows XP and 7 don't play nice, as you have found out :lol: And yes, Windows 7 did screw with your network name because it thought it was being helpful and it tried to guess what your network name was....
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

paulabdou
New User
What radios do you own?: xts5000, bc246t

Post by paulabdou »

something happened to me in that manner of a public network, except i had to go back to that public network and click on 'forget' and go back and set mine up. i am on windows 7 now, and yes. networking IS garbabge
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

In an unrelated but equally stupid issue, Win7 will not allow you to stream audio from a S/PDIF port and analog out at the same time. M$ knows about the issue but doesn't seem real interested in releasing a patch for it. That plus network issues similar to what you described above (in my case, it kept wanting to treat my Ethernet connection as an "unknown network," forcing me to manually reconfigure it every time I started the damn thing) led me to dump it and go back to XP.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

motorola_otaku wrote:In an unrelated but equally stupid issue, Win7 will not allow you to stream audio from a S/PDIF port and analog out at the same time. M$ knows about the issue but doesn't seem real interested in releasing a patch for it. That plus network issues similar to what you described above (in my case, it kept wanting to treat my Ethernet connection as an "unknown network," forcing me to manually reconfigure it every time I started the damn thing) led me to dump it and go back to XP.

Why do you think there has been so much resistance by many companies to dump XP. It is starting to look like Win 7 may be another Win ME and go by the wayside in a short time. We are already seeing a push for Win 8 and beta of Win 9. I know a number of companies that just plain refuse to migrate off of XP. It is a proven solid operating system and these companies have invested hard in it.

Come on Microsoft, stop pulling a Motorola and give us a working system that will be around for a while that works.

Jim
ferrinheight
New User

Post by ferrinheight »

windows 7 is not just garbage its unbearable. Its the only os ive used that prevents me from connecting to internet wirelessly while it works no problem when wired(same router and no theres NOTHING wrong with router). Also i am unable to simply download a zip file?? it gives me no indication as to why it wont download it just starts then ends immediately says its complete but the file is 0 bytes. The download works just fine on any other machine! Ive spent 2 days trying to fix the first issue trying every everything that worked for other people with the same issue. NOTHING works. Although ive not had any issue whatsoever with the latest Ubuntu. Btw i dont use 7 im just trying to fix my friends computer. and yes i registered a new account just to :o about this utter crap of an ME clone.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

I used to see that bull**** 0 byte download completed thing was when Microsoft's WONDERFUL security software was trying to "protect me from baddies on the interweb" and was set to disallow "malicious" file types, being EXE, ZIP, ARJ, SCR, BAT, SYS...etc...

I had it on so many different systems, and windows versions I just got in the habit of waiting for the "save as" dialog on the download to pop up, and then renaming the file to a different file extension, and then changing it BACK to what it was that it was supposed to be.

it was a total, and complete pain in the ass.

I can't tell you how many downloads were saved on my system as blahblahblah.wanker or whatever
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

If you think that is bad, don't even consider going to OFFICE 2010. You will be totally frustrated in trying to do just the simple things that the older versions just flowed along.

I think Microsoft lost their mind with this new crap. Everyone keeps telling me you just have to get use to the new version of "OFFICE". Bull, if I can't do the simple functions that came naturally in the older versions, then what is the use of upgrading to a new version that won't work. I spend more time looking for where they hid these simple features and functions that it's a total waist of time. In some cases I can't even find the function I am looking for even using their built in help.

Give us a break Microsoft. Why do you think your competition is laughing all the way to the bank. Not only is your software over priced, it's no longer user friendly.

Jim
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Jim202 wrote: Give us a break Microsoft. Why do you think your competition is laughing all the way to the bank. Not only is your software over priced, it's no longer user friendly.

Jim
Agreed...if just about anything to do with Windows happened to be 'user friendly', I believe it was a complete accident, and they subsequently fvcked it up ASAP.

'Simplicity' was always in the Apple DNA...many people now tired of dealing the the MS BS are switching, as the price of hardware becomes less of an issue.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I had issues with networking access on my Toshiba P775-S7100. I had to disable the two networking folders AND disable the WiMAX device and turn off Intel My WiFi.
That way, the internal default wireless radio is accessed by the new default.
Too many LAN folders and WiMAX, WiFi, all trying to be the default adaptor.
Wired accesses are disabled now, after I set up my router and encryption.
Since I worked through all my initial wireless problems and disabled all the others, it's been smooth sailing, even at public hotspots and coffee shops and two hospitals I was visiting.
I see all broadcasting wireless systems on my list, including signal levels, but if they are not above 'poor' in strength, I rarely have the ability to access them, no biggie though.
I sure do not want to sit and cruise at under 56K anyway!

If THIS version of Winblows gives me troubles, I'll remove all instances of it and go with Linux, or go Mac from then on.
Microsoft always has troubles producing a GOOD OS, aside from XP, everything before and after has always STUNK.
ME should have been yanked off the shelves as soon as their open door 'policy' was found and never fixed in future releases...More bad judgements on MS's part...again.
Vista was a nightmare...nothing works with it, at least NOT as a stable platform. Pretty sad to be so entrenched and still can not create a good viable product that works perfectly from the start.
ke7joi

Post by ke7joi »

what verison of window 7 are you using i use window 7 pro and have no problems networking with windows xp.
Joel
KE7JOI
1 900 Spectra
1 VHF Spectra
3 900 GTX Portables
1 900 GTX Mobile
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

ke7joi wrote:what verison of window 7 are you using i use window 7 pro and have no problems networking with windows xp.

You must be using a public folder to transfer files between computers running the different OS software then. At work where we have a number of XP and WIN7-PRO computers, it's the same old problem of being restricted. With XP to XP computers, it's a simple transfer the files from shared folders.

The feedback on WIN-8 so far is it is a looser also. Great to see that MS is holding true to it's past performances.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Jim202 wrote:
ke7joi wrote:what verison of window 7 are you using i use window 7 pro and have no problems networking with windows xp.

You must be using a public folder to transfer files between computers running the different OS software then. At work where we have a number of XP and WIN7-PRO computers, it's the same old problem of being restricted. With XP to XP computers, it's a simple transfer the files from shared folders.

The feedback on WIN-8 so far is it is a looser also. Great to see that MS is holding true to it's past performances.
I have been doing on average about 2 to 3 Windows 8 "downgrades" to 7 a week for the last few months. At $250 a pop, MS can go RIGHT ahead and keep creating software like this I am loving it.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”