USB over Network

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Squad5
was mwb9122

USB over Network

Post by Squad5 »

I was looking to get some help setting USB over Network up. I have a basic understanding of computers but cannot get this to connect. Any help is greatly appreciated
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: USB over Network

Post by Wowbagger »

Your question isn't very clear. Are you wanting to set up a USB device to provide network connectivity, or are you wanting to use a network to access a USB device remotely?

The former is usually pretty simple - plug the device in, install whatever drivers are needed, and set up the network.

The latter is not widely supported. Without more details as to your usage nobody will be able to help you.

Try giving as much detail about what you are working with and what you are trying to accomplish.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I assume you're trying to do USB over Ethernet. I'm doing this to get USB data into VMs running under ESXi. There are a few such hubs out there (I have a Belkin), but beware they are flaky as hell. And you can forget about any high-bandwidth devices like a sound card. They will *usually* work for USB-serial adapters.
Bingset
New User

Post by Bingset »

May be you are looking for software solution to connect to USB device over network? the is such one - USB to Ethernet connector. you can google for it, or just in case - net-usb.com It allows to connect to remote usb device over Lan or internet
Squad5
was mwb9122

Post by Squad5 »

I wanting to use a network to access a USB remotely. The program is called USB over network. usb-over-network.com

I really am not familiar with networks and all of that stuff. So anyone kind of willing to help me walk me thru getting it to work would be a huge help!
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

It looks relatively straight forward. What are you trying to share over the network?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

mwb9122 wrote:I was looking to get some help setting USB over Network up.
Wowbagger wrote:Without more details as to your usage nobody will be able to help you.
Try giving as much detail about what you are working with and what you are trying to accomplish.
mwb9122 wrote:I wanting to use a network to access a USB remotely. The program is called USB over network. usb-over-network.com
tvsjr wrote:What are you trying to share over the network?
First, may I suggest you read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way. You would get better help, more quickly, were you to provide us with the information we need to help you up front, rather than making us go fish.

What kind of USB device are you wanting to share? With what operating systems? For what purpose? Over what kind of network: local area high speed Ethernet, 3G wireless, dial up?

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
Squad5
was mwb9122

Post by Squad5 »

Sorry these replies have been from my phone.

I have a laptop I leave on at home for streaming purposes, every now and then on the road I would like to access that computer's flash drive I leave in that the videos are recorded to. Internet at home is Comcast Cable connection. I would be using Wifi from a hotel to access the home computer to view some of the videos to make clips and what not to the computer I have with me on the road
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

That won't work the way you are trying to do it. You would have 2 different computers both trying to do low level sector reads and writes to a file system. There is a word for that - corruption.

It sounds like you REALLY want to either: a) allow access to the computer at home over a VPN, and then share the drive as a network share
or
b) use a file sharing service.

Squad5
was mwb9122

Post by Squad5 »

I really appreciate your help. A co-worker that recently got the boot had this set up and it worked perfectly for him. It was nice and simple and I like how simple it was. I just dont know how to set up the domain and things like that at all.
Squad5
was mwb9122

Post by Squad5 »

Anyone?
gopher

Post by gopher »

answer: Pogoplug
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

There is a program called USB over Ethernet and other than the fact it only works for 2 weeks without having to pay, it's a great program. One of the few I've actually paid for. Wish it was free like Teamviewer :)
Squad5
was mwb9122

Post by Squad5 »

I would like to use that as well escomm, but I am having trouble setting the network and everything up
chris.a.terry
New User
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Motorola, Vertex

Post by chris.a.terry »

mwb9122 wrote:Sorry these replies have been from my phone.

I have a laptop I leave on at home for streaming purposes, every now and then on the road I would like to access that computer's flash drive I leave in that the videos are recorded to. Internet at home is Comcast Cable connection. I would be using Wifi from a hotel to access the home computer to view some of the videos to make clips and what not to the computer I have with me on the road
You just want to set up a sever.

Step 1) Download and install sshfs (http://dokan-dev.net/en/). For anyone who's curious and doesn't want to click the link, SSHFS (Secure Shell File System) allows you to mount any drive and access it securely via a network over a given port. I used this similarly during university where I stored all of my assignments at home on a server and accessed them from the classroom on my laptop. Yes, I am a nerd. Dokan is maybe the only program that can do this task for Windows. It does not do it easily, however. This program was never designed to be user friendly. I would say it was reluctantly released on windows at all.

Step 2) Go to No-IP.org and register a domain name. They offer the updater program that will automatically get your comcast DHCP assigned IP address and upload it to them so you don't lose connectivity.

Step 3) Open up your routers configuration page at your home and point incoming traffic on whatever port you set up to go back to Dokan service.

Step 4) On your client computer, install the browsing software (i.e: winSCP or something) and enter your servers address into the fields.

Step 5) Enjoy.

This was much easier said than done, however it is 100% possible.
Googling "mount sshfs windows" may guide you through some of the headaches you are more than likely to encounter.

Best of luck!
lol wut

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”