Astro Saber with MTSX LAB?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Greg2561

Astro Saber with MTSX LAB?

Post by Greg2561 »

After searching a numerous amount of posts, I have read about using MTSX LAB with an imbe astro saber. Will the MSTX LAB, version 02.00.01 work with the astro saber? If so, is it any different than using astro lab? Also, will astro lab B03.04 work for both the saber and the spectra?
Thanks,
Greg
Hightower

Re: Astro Saber with MTSX LAB?

Post by Hightower »

I've seen mentioned in the past about MTSX lab 03.00.02 working with the Astro Saber, so can't comment about the earlier version you mention working or not.

Don't know anything about the "B" versions you speak of.

One thing i do know before messing with these version is to make 100% certain you have a good backup of your s-rec incase something goes wrong (which it probably will). So even when you mess up, you can at least get the radio working like it did before ya started messing around. :lol:

Good luck 8)
Greg2561

Post by Greg2561 »

How can I make a copy of my S record? If I do a read without pack/unpack, is there a way to save the file?
Thanks,
Greg
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

If you directly read a donor radio with no pack/unpack, then write to the target radio using the same, it will work regardless of what LAB version you use. If you have an s-record, I believe you can do the same. LAB versions become important when you simply try to read a regular codeplug, ignore the "codeplug too new" error, then write it into a target radio. The older MTSX LAB 2.00.01 and the Astro LAB 3.04 do not understand IMBE, and will corrupt the target radio with a "fail 01/92" failure. For whatever reason, the MTSX LAB 3.02.00 has no issue with IMBE, and will write the codeplug to the target radio without corrupting it.

As far as saving an s-record, it's pretty easy. Read the radio with no pack/unpack, then go into the s-record screen & save it, similar to saving a regular codeplug.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Greg2561

Post by Greg2561 »

Todd,
When I do the F4, read/write with no pack/unpack, it reads the radio. Then I go F10, F6 Archive/S record disk files. It tehn asks for a disk filename and I can't seem to save it. If I try to do an F7, save codeplug, it says there is no codeplug in memory. Am I doing something wrong in the archive/s record screen?

Greg
Thanks,
Greg
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

It's not a codeplug at that point it is a s-recored and needs to be saved as a s-record.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
Greg2561

Post by Greg2561 »

Sorry to sound so dense on this guys, but when I try to save it to archive/srecord, it asks for a disk filename. No matter what I type in there it says record not found. Is there a certain format or extension I need to put on the end? Am I doing it correctly by first doing the F4 read without pack/unpack and then going f10, f6 to save, or should I be doing everything from the f6 (Archive/Srecord) screen?

Thanks for the help,
Greg
Thanks,
Greg
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Not sure what you're doing wrong? Yes, read the radio with no pack/unpack, then go into the "F6 Archive/Srecord" screen. By default it saves all s-records & archives into the same directory the LAB runtime file resides. It asks you for a file name...you can name it just about anything as long as it's 8 characters or less, and it doesn't really care about the extension...I use either .dat or .s
Once you type in the file name, hit enter, then hit "F8-write Srecord". It should bring you to a second screen, and hit "F4-write Srecord". You should see "S record file written successfully" at the top right of the screen.
When you want to load that Srecord, go into the same screen, type in the file name, hit enter, then hit "F4-read S record". It should say "S record file read successfully".
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Greg2561

Post by Greg2561 »

That did it. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but your step by step instructions did the trick. :lol: Thanks again, now I have a backup in case of another codeplug disaster! I am going to save all of the AS's s files from each one I have. Not too long ago I was programming one of the astro sabers with CPS and we had a brown out right in the middle of programming. The computer is on a battery backup, but the rib box power cable was not and I did not have a battery inside the rib. The radio came up with a fail 01/82, :x and CPS said it had been inhibited and could only be turned back on by dispatch or a depot tool. I knew this was impossible because the radio only had some simplex stuff in it. Luckily I had a good AS that I did a read w/o pack and then wrote to the failed AS. Now they are identical, but at least it's not a paperweight. Needless to say, my rib now has a brand new battery inside and the power cable is running to the battery backup. Appreciate the help!
Thanks,
Greg
TWL911

Post by TWL911 »

version 2 just worked fine form my xts3000 for a S-rec bump.
akardam

Post by akardam »

TWL911 wrote:version 2 just worked fine form my xts3000 for a S-rec bump.
Right, that's exactly what Todd said:
wavetar wrote:If you directly read a donor radio with no pack/unpack, then write to the target radio using the same, it will work regardless of what LAB version you use.

Return to “Radio Programming”