GR1225 with FF on display

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W7BEQ
What radios do you own?: way to many

GR1225 with FF on display

Post by W7BEQ »

GR1225 with FF on display.
As the title reads. I wrote codeplug to radio and FF ended up on display. Will let me read the radio but it will not let me go in and rewrite with orig codeplug. Have researched and searched all I have found that means is it did not exit programming correctly. Anyone have any ideas??
always trying to learn new things
W7BEQ

Re: GR1225 with FF on display

Post by W7BEQ »

Anyone have any ideas I tried the channel up-dn together for 5 sec no results. Just beeps. Anyone know how to do a reset on this radio? Thanks
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Whoops, I originally read that it was a P1225 with the issue, and was on a completely different track. Sorry, I haven't run across this issue, myself. Are you able to read the GR1225 now?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
W7BEQ

Post by W7BEQ »

Yes I can read it. But cannot look at info. When I go to look at tab it just gives me an error prompt. I really hope I have not bricked this....
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

So it lets you read the radio's codeplug without complaint, but then gives an error when you try to view the information...very odd. I assume you can still view the contents of the original codeplug without issue? What error are you getting when you try to write the original codeplug back in?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

W7BEQ

Post by W7BEQ »

The error I get is 1225 series rss
Runtime error "381":
Invalid property array index
Exactly as it reads sorry was gone for a couple weeks
When I try to write orig back I get product line mismatch operation was aborted.

Any help would be great thanks
Al

Post by Al »

Ah, so it appears to be an RSS error rather than an R1225 rooted problem. What version of the RSS are you using? What PC and operating system? Version 3.2 of the RSS had PC and platform limitations, and version 4.0 fixed most of those.
W7BEQ

Post by W7BEQ »

version 4.0 rss Pentium 111 comp running xp. It reads other gr1225's and lets me look at there info. Till I find out why this display went to FF and what happened I will not try to write to them tho. I do not believe it is the Rss as it acts fine after reading another radio.
W7BEQ

Post by W7BEQ »

Ok Just read another gr1225 Have no trouble editing saving or reading this codeplug. I have not tried to write it to the radio as I do not want to cause harm to another repeater. Just some more fyi. Hope someone reads this that has had similar issue.
W7BEQ

Post by W7BEQ »

Ok Here is what we have. The rss, cable, and computer all seem good as it did upload the codeplug to the other GR1225 repeater and it works fine. So does anyone have any ideas how to deal with the other repeater? The only diff between the two repeaters are one is VHF (this one currently functions after I reprogrammed it) the other is UHF (shows FF on display). Possibly a bad codeplug? Does anyone have one for a gr1225 uhf repeater? Not sure here I would like to repair this.
W7BEQ

Post by W7BEQ »

A good point was brought up by a fellow member. How often are the fans on these supposed to run? I looked through the service manual and did not find an answer. Does the FF have something to do with the cooling fan? Would that affect programming?
turtle9832

Post by turtle9832 »

The fan on ours begins to run immediately when plugged in (with power on or power off).
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

There's supposed to be a thermistor that is mounted between heatsink fins to control the fan, but many were modified to run wide open. And no, it doesn't affect programming at all. You most certainly have a corrupt codeplug. Since you can read the codeplug, even though the CPS then barfs, at least it indicates the station is responsive. Your best bet is to try & write a known good same model codeplug into it...although from your descriptions of the errors upon trying to write the original back into it, the model number in memory appears to be what is corrupted.

If that doesn't work, without some sort of LAB or Depot software, which I never heard of existing for the 1225 series stuff, you're pretty much S.O.L.

Al

Post by Al »

The thermistor referred to by wavetar is in reality a thermal switch. There were two power supplies used in the GR1225, an analog one(series pass transistors, heavy transformer) and a switching supply. The analog supply simply used the thermal switch mounted between the PA heatsink fins to turn on and off the 12 VDC fan. The switching supply had an additional switch mounted on the rear of the supply that bypassed the thermal switch so that the fan runs all the time when the switch is closed.
And I agree that the fan controls are not related in any way to the programming.
W7BEQ

Post by W7BEQ »

on the advice of a very smart man. On the new radio that I got I programmed it and had it functioning. Then I went ahead and cloned it to this radio and now I have another 1225 that is functioning. So cloneing instead of writing fixed this situation.
kaipo02
New User
What radios do you own?: Icom756pro,CMD1250VHF,G71

Post by kaipo02 »

rE: gr1225 WITH ff ON DISPLAY! wHILE PROGRAMING MY gr1225 to run the RF side on my Allstar network the display turned to FF > I know you suggested
Cloning! How do you clone and what cables do you need besides the rib box cables. I just brought another repeater that is working and I want to
clone it back to life! Help please! Kaipo
kaipo02
New User
What radios do you own?: Icom756pro,CMD1250VHF,G71

Post by kaipo02 »

kaipo02 wrote:rE: gr1225 WITH ff ON DISPLAY! wHILE PROGRAMING MY gr1225 to run the RF side on my Allstar network the display turned to FF > I know you suggested
Cloning! How do you clone and what cables do you need besides the rib box cables. I just brought another repeater that is working and I want to
clone it back to life! Help please! Kaipo

Return to “Radio Programming”