Xts3000 cps: why can't I get all personalities encrypted?.

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

V188
New User
What radios do you own?: Astro Spectra, XTS, Kenwood

Xts3000 cps: why can't I get all personalities encrypted?.

Post by V188 »

I used to program our astro spectra, sabers and some 3000's at my job. Since I retired and haven't worked with them in a few years I'm stumped. I bought a couple for ham and FD/EMS. My issue is getting encryption programmed. I've got several Astro personalities programmed. No problems. I then have ham channels and FD/EMS for the rest. For some reason all the ham and weather receive can have secure enabled. None of the public service will. For some reason secure tab secure/strapping is grayed out. It only allows securenet or astro. I also have scan select and hold off strapping working.

The only diff I can find is in TX options. Pub service is 2.5, 2.5 and 12.5 spacing. Ham are wider. Any idea what's wrong?

I've read all the cps help, googled and read Batdudes and Akardam reports. Still stumped.

Also, should proper code detect be marked? I'm planning on DES-XL and using ofb for Astro. Obviously none for ham.

Kind of amazing what you forget but I'm looking for a good hobby in radios and am now working on ham license upgrade.
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Re: Xts3000 cps: why can't I get all personalities encrypte

Post by desperado »

Assuming that you have a keyloader, and the proper current key for the encryption (if not don't bother)
Check the key types in service mode that the radio supports. My assumption is that the radio is DVP only which will work on wide band analog (ham and weather) but not for any CAI digital channels.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

+1 non-XL algos only allow old Securenet ops on 25 kHz channels. Astro is not supported.
V188
New User

Post by V188 »

My UCMs, which I put in a couple days ago are XL and Ofb. Not Dvl. Unless the I'm missing what's stated above, I shouldn't have any DVL. I've got their numbers but I cross checked them on the reference material here.

Also, it's the narrow band pub safety I can't get to show encryption. I have Astro working and XL for the ham. (Which is only for practice, not for use on ham bands.)

I'm obviously doing something wrong.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

What country are you in?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

CVSD Securenet (not P25) operation requires a 25KHz channel.
If the channel is configured for narrow/12.5KHz *and* the transmit type is analog, you won't be able to enable encryption. You need to make the channel P25, then run OFB/XL over P25.
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

Try programming the ham channels narrow and I bet the securenet will not work then. Need DES, not DES XL for narrow I believe. OFB is P25 only.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
V188
New User

Post by V188 »

Alright I think I can summarize this correctly.

1. My Astro works great clear and encrypted digital.

2. Wide band analog can run encrypted using DES-XL. Although its ham freqs, so just a learning moment for me, experimentation.

3. Narrow band analog public service can't be encrypted. No digital is in use with fire/ EMS where I volunteer. (rural area)
Since dispatch nor mobiles are digital, I'm guessing I can't convert to digital, encrypt, and then send it out analog using a xts3000 digital astro p25 mobile? I "believe" from reading I could use old DES on narrow analog?

4. What kind of time should I use for MDC front delay? Is there a standard answer?

Thanks so far for the knowledge, I really like learning new things. I've always been more into nfa weapons as a hobby. Radios are kind of old/new hobby.

Return to “Radio Programming”