PM1500 Mic gain settings, default settings seem too hot

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cbroseinak

PM1500 Mic gain settings, default settings seem too hot

Post by cbroseinak »

After programming some PM1500's, the mic gain seems way too hot with std settings. I can hold one hand about 3ft from the mic, snap my finger and clearly hear it over the sevice monitor. These are programed conventenal VHF narrowband freq.
In the "Conventional personality" "Advance" tab, I set the "Advanced RF AGC" to: "standard" Then set "Analog fixed gain" in "Tx audio control per mode" tab to: -6 and "AGC": output -6 and total -6 which is in the same tab, lower part of the tab.

Seems to have made it much better and my audio seems loud enough with my lips upto 2 1/2" away from the standard PM1500 mic. These are going in heavy long haul deisel trucks.
Jim202

Re: PM1500 Mic gain settings, default settings seem too hot

Post by Jim202 »

cbroseinak wrote:After programming some PM1500's, the mic gain seems way too hot with std settings. I can hold one hand about 3ft from the mic, snap my finger and clearly hear it over the sevice monitor. These are programed conventenal VHF narrowband freq.
In the "Conventional personality" "Advance" tab, I set the "Advanced RF AGC" to: "standard" Then set "Analog fixed gain" in "Tx audio control per mode" tab to: -6 and "AGC": output -6 and total -6 which is in the same tab, lower part of the tab.

Seems to have made it much better and my audio seems loud enough with my lips upto 2 1/2" away from the standard PM1500 mic. These are going in heavy long haul deisel trucks.

You found the correct place to lower the gain. If it is still on the hot side, you can go down lower. Best to check it with a service monitor to know exactly where you end up.

Another place is in the alignment settings. Is it possible that someone got into the radio alignment settings and screwed with the TX audio?

Jim
cbroseinak

Re: PM1500 Mic gain settings, default settings seem too hot

Post by cbroseinak »

Thanks for the confirmation Jim, actually a new unit out of the box. I will check it with the service monitor to make sure, I was just amazed as to how sensitive it was.

Return to “Radio Programming”