Windows 10 & ASTRO 25 CPS

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Vizwar

Windows 10 & ASTRO 25 CPS

Post by Vizwar »

Anyone tried it?

Our first laptop upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 isn't able to open a port with any ASTRO 25 radios via USB cable.

Open Radio Failed
Error Context: 24, Status: c0000344

I'm hoping there's a fix, but I'd also accept my being the only one having this issue.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 & ASTRO 25 CPS

Post by wavetar »

Did you install the CPS after the upgrade, or is it left over from before the upgrade? Was perhaps the Win 7 32-bit & the Win 10 is 64-bit?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Vizwar

Post by Vizwar »

Thanks for the response. It was previously installed on Win7 Pro x64. The OS was upgraded using the in-place installer downloaded from MS.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the CPS, no luck. The installer did complain about there not being a supported version of .NET on the PC, which seemed odd.

My next step is to open a case with /\/\, but I already know the canned response will be "Win 10 not supported". After that, it's partition time and I'll run a separate Win7 OS.
Wiregeek

Post by Wiregeek »

Or look at a virtual machine
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Does the radio show up in device manager when you plug it in? Have you tried any APX radios also? I'm running w10pro64 and have no issues using USB and CPS yet.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Post by nukedude »

There has been a lag in radio CPS support anytime a new operating system comes out. I have just become accustomed to keeping a slightly older computer available as a radio programmer. Then I keep this computer away form the internet and updates.

Right now I support radios that use version of DOS as well as APX series radios programmed with 8.1 computers. 10 will be supported eventually I am sure, it just takes some time.
tztop10
What radios do you own?: HT1250 EX600XLS CDM1250 CP200

Post by tztop10 »

Did you try installing and running it in Compatibility Mode for windows 7?
Vizwar

Post by Vizwar »

Thank you again to everyone who responded.

A Win7 VM was ultimately what worked for me and it worked really well. I used Oracle VirtualBox and it worked the first time.

If any of you are also running Aviat Eclipse gear, the VM works for their Provision software too. Aviat Portal runs fine on Windows 10.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

I got it to work just fine under Windows 10 Pro, but it needs to be the 32 bit OS, it won't run even in compatibility mode under the 64 bit OS.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Vizwar

Post by Vizwar »

Some of my users are now saying they are able to run ASTRO 25 CPS in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) without any changes, CPS updates or otherwise any effort at all - it simply started working. I'm assuming a Windows 10 background mystery update resolved it.
Vizwar

Post by Vizwar »

Another follow up...

XTS2500 works on my own laptop. The X close button in the top right of any child window inside CPS is missing, but the "Close" button in the bottom left is there.

I was NOT able to read/write an XTS5000. I got the same error that started the thread.

Return to “Radio Programming”