CDM1550ls+ 200 MHz programing issue

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

DarkHelmet
New User

CDM1550ls+ 200 MHz programing issue

Post by DarkHelmet »

I picked up a CDM1550ls+ 220 mhz version and didn't have the Motorola OEM cable for programming it, as it looks easy enough to build.

I built the rib to accessory plug cable as described in the service manual and I'm able to read and write the radio using both a smart rib and a sandy ganz rib. However when the radio is connected to the rib, the radio "locks up", as in the keypad does not work, it will not keyup, or change displays. After it it programmed and reboots, it appears to go into a reboot loop where it beeps but the display will not start up and the it reboots again.

Disconnecting it from the rib allows the front panel to work and then it boots normally. This is really annoying when trying to set the alignment in the tuner software as it reboots multiple times.

I've checked my pin-outs 5 times and it's correct. I removed the Boot line thinking it could be an issue, and it didn't make a difference.

Has anyone ever seen an issue like this?

Sadly I don't have another CDM to test with, so it's a bit hard to say if it's a cable or radio. I really doubt it's the cable however.

Right now this is annoying at worst, but I want to upgrade the firmware, and I'm reluctant to do that with a suspect cable.
motorola_otaku

Re: CDM1550ls+ 200 MHz programing issue

Post by motorola_otaku »

Any particular reason why you need/want to program through the rear accessory connector? I use the mic jack cable (actually just a DB25-RJ45 adapter hood and a Cat5e cable) and have never had any of the issues you're describing.

Also, is this a remote or dash mount setup?
DarkHelmet
New User

Re: CDM1550ls+ 200 MHz programing issue

Post by DarkHelmet »

It's a dash mount, not a remote mount.

My understanding is that you can't upgrade it via the mic, and if I was going to go through the trouble of building a cable, I'd have one that would work for both going in the accessory connector. Plus I can add the other pins and have it worth with the test box for alignment in the future.

Are you able to upgrade it via the front mic port?

Return to “Radio Programming”