Syntor X9000 programming

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wcu02mpa

Syntor X9000 programming

Post by wcu02mpa »

It has been so long since I programmed an X9000 I have complete;y forgotten how to set this up. I used to be a wiz at this. I have a lowband and I want it pretty basic. I have the codeplug built. I need to set the scan to user select and have all modes available for the list. I do not want a list for each individual mode. I need one scan list (that I can edit) that stays the same for any mode I am on. I went through Mike's site but it is scan info overload.

Can someone just point me to the right path??

Thanks
I may not fire the first shot, but I will fire the last one.
Jim202

Re: Syntor X9000 programming

Post by Jim202 »

wcu02mpa wrote:It has been so long since I programmed an X9000 I have complete;y forgotten how to set this up. I used to be a wiz at this. I have a lowband and I want it pretty basic. I have the codeplug built. I need to set the scan to user select and have all modes available for the list. I do not want a list for each individual mode. I need one scan list (that I can edit) that stays the same for any mode I am on. I went through Mike's site but it is scan info overload.

Can someone just point me to the right path??

Thanks

First of all the number of scan channels is limited by the firmware version the radio has. Probably you have a 64 channel or mode as Motorola calls them.

One of the limitations of user select scan is it will go away every time you shut the radio off.

Mike's information is about as good as it gets. Go back and read it again. Then sit with the radio and the software and play with it. Depending on which version of the software you have will determine how it gets programmed and how it works.

There are a number of versions of software out on the Internet. Been a while since I looked at the different versions, but if you are using the radio out of the commercial frequencies and are trying to use it on the ham frequencies, you will need one of the modified versions to allow out of band frequencies to be programmed into the radio.

I have a number of these operating and have chosen to use the fixed scan lists. But that has it's own problems with the ham modified software versions. Those won't let you program a fixed scan list. So you have to use normal frequencies, set up the fixed scan lists and then program in your ham frequencies. So an Excel spread sheet to keep track of what mode (channel) has what scan programmed in for what frequency. get complicated, but that is the only way it will work to program a fixed list.

I don't use the operator scan list as I don't want the hassle to have to set it up each time I turn the radio on.

Jim
wcu02mpa

Post by wcu02mpa »

Got it. I am using the HAM version software (5.02) I used to do these heavily many years ago but just forgot as it has been so long ago. I now rememberI have to go to each channel, select N, go to scan list, right arrow and then add each of P1, P2 and NP list to each channel. I much prefer to have each channel available for editing various features. I will be doing a 200 plus channel lowband in the near future, but this one is 64 channels.

Thanks for the help
I may not fire the first shot, but I will fire the last one.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

wcu02mpa wrote:Got it. I am using the HAM version software (5.02) I used to do these heavily many years ago but just forgot as it has been so long ago. I now rememberI have to go to each channel, select N, go to scan list, right arrow and then add each of P1, P2 and NP list to each channel. I much prefer to have each channel available for editing various features. I will be doing a 200 plus channel lowband in the near future, but this one is 64 channels.

Thanks for the help

Unless you have lucked out and have one of the newer firmware PROMS that give you 128 channels (modes) of scan, the most you can have is 64. Doesn't matter how many channels you program into the radio. Only the first 64 scan list channels will function in scan. You can skip channels and have a higher mode channel in the scan list, but you will still hit the wall at 64 modes in scan. Just program one of the buttons on the control head for scan.

Yes you can make a different scan list for each channel, but that's only good until you reach the magic limit of 64 modes in scan.

The other thing you can do is to program up a button on the control head for MPL (multi PL). I use one of the buttons above the display. Then go and set up your MPL table list with all 32 PL tones. As you program up your modes, set the TX up for MPL. This way if your traveling and find a repeater that is using a different PL on the input, you can push the MPL button and select which PL you need to open up the repeater. Just remember that you need to hold the MPL button down till it beeps at you. Then you can use the mode rocker switch to go up or down in your table. When you select the one you want, momentarily press the home button. If you press it too long, the radio will jump to what ever you have programmed as the home mode.

When you are setting up the MPL table, it will get messy on your computer screen. About in the middle of the screen on the right side is where you will see where you have the location displaying the data your currently entering. The screen will have all sorts of jumbled information on it that is confusing. If you look around you will find where the current data is once you go beyond the first 16 entries.

I also program in a talk around frequency when programming the modes. This way you program a button on the dead for DIR and can talk on the repeater output. I also use this feature when I can't seem to find the correct tone to key the repeater. But you need to wait till the repeater drops out before trying to talk.

The Syntor X9000 is a wonderfully flexible radio with so many features that most people either don't know about or just don't use them.

Jim

Return to “Radio Programming”