XTL5000 Scan List Programming Setup Question

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wa8iqo
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTL5000 & XTS5000

XTL5000 Scan List Programming Setup Question

Post by wa8iqo »

(1) If I program a conventional scan list to "Operator Select" and leave "Zone" and "Channel" lists set to "Unassigned" will that scan list be available "Raido Wide" to all zones and all channels? So this methodology would allow me to assign an operator selectable scan list to be used in conjunction with any of the created zones and any of the created channels.

(2) If I program another conventional scan list to "Operator Select" and assign a "Zone" to it, but leave the "channel" list set to "Unassigned" will that scan list only be available to the channels within that specific zone? So this methodology would allow me to have other operator selectable scan lists to be assigned to specific zones that allow selection of any channel from within that zone only.

Am I understanding the methodology and functionality correctly?

Reference: XTL5000 1000ch - High Power | ASTRO 25 CPS R20.01.00

Thanks, WA8IQO
W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

Re: XTL5000 Scan List Programming Setup Question

Post by W3AXL »

1) You'll be able to select channels to scan from any zones but the scanlist itself will still be tied to the personality(ies) you've got the list assigned to. If all your personalities are tied to one scanlist then this would work just fine.

2) I believe that selecting channels to scan is the same regardless of what fields you have filled. In fact, I don't think it will allow you to set a zone but leave the channel field unassigned. Basically in either 1) or 2) you'll be able to select channels to scan from any zone.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I have a XTL2500 in one vehicle and a XTL5000 in another. As I travel around a bunch, I set my radios up with zones. Each zone was made to cover a specific area. The radio channels were set to match the area I was in. I also set one of the programmable buttons on my O5 control heads to have a nusense delete button. This way if one of the channels in my fixed scan list became a problem, I just pressed the button and it was gone from the scan list. My radios have 50 zones set into them and most of the zones are full with the 15 channels that the scan list will accept.

If you changed your transmit channel, the removed channel was back in the scan list. Been using this set up for a number of years and find it works very well.

The other thing I did was set the radio to allow for changing the squelch level setting. You can program a button on the head to have a squelch setting. Using it, I believe you use the frequency selection knob to change the setting. Been a while since I have had to do this.

One trick that I will mention is that you can have more than 15 channels set into a zone. But only 15 will be in the scan list. You can cheat and put the channel selection on one of the channels beyond the first 15. This selected channel will scan.
wa8iqo
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTL5000 & XTS5000

Post by wa8iqo »

Thanks for the replies...
Brad - WA8IQO

Return to “Radio Programming”