P25 system question?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dfc2

P25 system question?

Post by dfc2 »

Can a P25 system (xtl5000/xts5000) have a zone programmed with talkgroups in all channels (for the same system) but also have a single channel programmed as a repeater channel?

the goal would be to have an interop channel programmed into the same talkgroup, so that we use our radios as normal, but if needed, switch over to an interop channel without having to mess with changing zones.

Possible?
KE4ZNR
What radios do you own?: APX 8000XE, APX 6000, APX 7000

Re: P25 system question?

Post by KE4ZNR »

dfc2 wrote:Can a P25 system (xtl5000/xts5000) have a zone programmed with talkgroups in all channels (for the same system) but also have a single channel programmed as a repeater channel?

the goal would be to have an interop channel programmed into the same talkgroup, so that we use our radios as normal, but if needed, switch over to an interop channel without having to mess with changing zones.

Possible?
I believe you are asking in an XTS/XTL5000 if you can have a zone filled with Trunked Talkgroups with an additional conventional (non-trunked) channel included in that zone. The answer is yes. You can mix conventional and trunked in the same zone with one caveat: You can't scan the trunked and non-trunked together. As long as you are aware of that then you should not have any problems. An Example is a City FD that I work with that has 15 Trunked talkgroups and 1 conventional DVRS (Digital Vehicle Repeater) channel in their first zone. This allows them to quickly switch to the DVRS channel should they need to.

Marshall KE4ZNR
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

KE4ZNR wrote: The answer is yes. You can mix conventional and trunked in the same zone with one caveat: You can't scan the trunked and non-trunked together.
Sure you can, you just need to set the 'Scan Type' to "Talkgroup", and check off the "Multi System Scan" checkbox in the General tab.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
KE4ZNR
What radios do you own?: APX 8000XE, APX 6000, APX 7000

Post by KE4ZNR »

wavetar wrote:
KE4ZNR wrote: The answer is yes. You can mix conventional and trunked in the same zone with one caveat: You can't scan the trunked and non-trunked together.
Sure you can, you just need to set the 'Scan Type' to "Talkgroup", and check off the "Multi System Scan" checkbox in the General tab.
Well let me qualify: I NEVER recommend using Multi-scan for public safety usage. I never offer it as an option to any of the public safety agencies on the system I help manage/maintain.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

KE4ZNR wrote:
wavetar wrote:
Well let me qualify: I NEVER recommend using Multi-scan for public safety usage. I never offer it as an option to any of the public safety agencies on the system I help manage/maintain.
Nor do I, in fact scanning of any kind is strongly dissuaded for public safety, even regular talkgroup scan. However, the capability exists.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

wavetar wrote:Nor do I, in fact scanning of any kind is strongly dissuaded for public safety, even regular talkgroup scan. However, the capability exists.
That depends on your traffic load and level of system access. If you have sufficient system access to define priority talkgroups and doing so won't cause loading issues it works quite well.

What WILL get you is IV&D context activation. Until the radio gets an IP you can forget about getting voice traffic on anything except your selected channel.
dfc2

Post by dfc2 »

My goal is NOT to scan. My goal is to simply switch over to the interop channel when needed. WITHOUT having to talk 20 officers through switching zones and changing channel number.
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Alot

Post by chartofmaryland »

Evening Dfc2

I order to answer a similar issue for users I enabled zone for the ABC switch and programmed 3 zones where the first 2 zones had mission operation talk groups and the last zone was a conventional talkaround in all 16 channels so no matter if you were on zone A or B and on channel 8 or 13 you could always pull the selector down to zone C and immediately go simplex with anyone who met you there by following up with immediately switching back to the last zone and channel you were on

Big help if you have the time is voice announcement to help in navigating between zones

CoM
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.

Return to “Radio Programming”