XTS5000 TMS setup

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Q101ATFD

XTS5000 TMS setup

Post by Q101ATFD »

I was able to find a cached version of the akardam tutorial on setting up TMS for ASTRO25 radios. However, none of the screenshots are there. Does anybody have a saved copy of that web page, or a modernized how-to? I thought batdude did a writeup, but I can't find it for the life of me.
Q101ATFD

Re: XTS5000 TMS setup

Post by Q101ATFD »

For anybody wondering, I was able to get things working by trial and error. The following items need to be set to use Text Messaging Service:

Radio Configuration -> Radio Wide
General -> ARS User Login Enable: CHECK
General -> Soft ID/Username: ANY VALUE, but needs to be in the Data User List of any other radio that wants to send a message to this one
General -> PIN/Password: ANY VALUE
Data: All settings can remain default, including Subscriber IP Address, which can be the same for each radio. However, the TMS operates a little quicker when you assign a unique IP address, on the same subnet, to each radio. For example, 192.168.128.z

Radio Configuration -> Controls -> Buttons
Data Button: TMS

Conventional -> Conventional Personality -> Conventional Personality X
Rx Options -> Rx Voice/Signal Type: Mixed Mode, or ASTRO
Tx Options -> Tx Voice/Signal Type: ASTRO
ASTRO -> ASTRO System: Y

Conventional -> ASTRO Systems -> Astro System -> Astro System Y
General -> Individual ID: Can be whatever you'd like, but needs to be unique to each radio you want to participate in TMS
Data -> Packet Data Compatible System (PDS): CHECK
Data -> Auto Generate IP Address: CHECK
Data -> Auto Generate Target IP Address: CHECK
Data -> Packet Data Mode: Direct
Data ->Text Messaging Service: List Only (for model 2 or 3), or Unlimited (model 3 only)
ARS -> Automatic Registration Service Enable: CHECK
ARS -> ARS Mode: Non-Server

Radio Configuration -> Data User List
Preset list of radio Soft IDs, where the "Data User Information" field matches the Soft ID/Username for each other radio you want to participate in TMS

Radio Configuration -> Quick Text Message
Create records for preset text messages. You have to use these if you have a model 2 radio, but makes it easier even with a model 3.

Zone Channel Assignment
Each channel you want to have the ability to exchange text messages on must be assigned to a Conventional Personality that's configured with the settings above.

I hope this helps the next guy out there, and I presume the settings would transfer to other XTS and APX radios that are flashed for Packet Data.
jackhackett

Re: XTS5000 TMS setup

Post by jackhackett »

Don't know that I'll ever need it myself, but just want to say thanks for sharing.

Return to “Radio Programming”